Table of Contents
The exact origins of this market town of ancient walkways, cobbled alleys and secret passageways are shrouded in mystery.
But one thing’s for sure, Knaresborough has carved out a real character for itself with a Tudor prophetess, once royal castle, magnificent viaduct and breathtaking countryside views.
Standing proudly above the River Nidd, this pretty little town has a lot to offer visitors from near or far. A pleasant place to spend a while, the town also makes a sound base for visiting nearby Ripon and Harrogate on days out.
Places to Stay
Waterside Cottage Bed and BreakfastWaterside Cottage 120 Briggate, Knaresborough, HG5 8BH, United Kingdom
Woofles Luxury Caravan at Knaresborough LidoLido Leisure Park, Knaresborough, HG5 8LR, United Kingdom
Things to Do
Knaresborough is a market and spa town and civil parish in the Borough of Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England, on the River Nidd 3 miles east of Harrogate.
History of Knaresborough
Knaresborough is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Chenaresburg, meaning “Cenheard’s fortress”, in the wapentake of Burghshire, renamed Claro Wapentake in the 12th century.
Knaresborough Castle is originally from Norman times. In around 1100, the town began to grow. It provided a market and attracted traders to service the castle.
The parish church, St John’s, was established around the same time. The earliest identified Lord of Knaresborough is around 1115 when Serlo de Burgh held the Honour of Knaresborough from the King.
Hugh de Morville was granted the Honour of Knaresborough in 1158. He was constable of Knaresborough and leader of the group of four knights who murdered Archbishop Thomas Becket at Canterbury Cathedral on 29 December 1170. The four knights fled to Knaresborough and hid at the castle. Hugh de Morville forfeited the lands in 1173, not for his implication in the murder of Thomas Becket, but for “complicity in the rebellion of Henry the Young King”, according to the Early Yorkshire Charters.
The Honour of Knaresborough then passed to the Stuteville family. When the Stuteville line was broken with the death of Robert the 4th (son of Robert 3rd) in 1205, King John effectively took the Honour of Knaresborough for himself.
The first Maundy Money was distributed in Knaresborough by King John on 15 April 1210.
Knaresborough Forest, which extended far to the south of the town, is reputed to have been one of King John’s favourite hunting grounds.
Although a market was first mentioned in 1206, the town was not granted a Royal Charter to hold a market until 1310, by Edward II.
A market is still held every Wednesday in the market square.
In Edward II’s reign, the castle was occupied by rebels and the curtain walls were breached by a siege engine.
Later, Scots invaders burned much of the town and the parish church.
In 1328, as part of the marriage settlement, Queen Philippa was granted “the Castle, Town, Forest and Honour of Knaresborough” by Edward III and the parish church was restored.
After her death in 1369, the Honour was granted by Edward to their younger son, John of Gaunt, the Duke of Lancaster and since then the castle has belonged to the Duchy of Lancaster, who also own nearby Harrogate’s Stray.
After the accession of Henry IV the castle lost much of its importance in national affairs, but remained a key site in regional administration for another century.
In the Civil War, following the Battle of Marston Moor in 1644, the castle was besieged by Parliamentary forces. The castle eventually fell and in 1646 an order was made by Parliament for its destruction (but not carried out till 1648). The destruction was mainly done by citizens looting the stone. Many town centre buildings are built of castle stone.
The railway age began in Knaresborough in 1848 with the opening of a railway station on Hay Park Lane; this was replaced with the current one three years later in 1851. The town had a railway line to Boroughbridge until it closed to passengers in 1950; it was dismantled in 1964.
Historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, Knaresborough became part of North Yorkshire in 1974.