Allerton Bywater, located in West Yorkshire, is a charming village that offers a unique blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. This former coal mining community has transformed into a vibrant destination, boasting a rich industrial heritage, picturesque landscapes, and a friendly local community. Visitors can explore the remnants of the mining era, enjoy leisurely walks along the River Aire, or indulge in local cuisine at traditional pubs. With its close proximity to Leeds, Allerton Bywater provides a tranquil escape from city life, making it an ideal spot for those seeking a peaceful retreat.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Allerton Bywater, West Yorkshire
- Allerton Bywater is a semi-rural village and civil parish in the south-east of City of Leeds metropolitan borough in West Yorkshire, England.
- The village is situated between Castleford and Kippax.
- It is part of the historic West Riding of Yorkshire.
- Allerton Bywater has a population of around 4,800 people.
- The village is surrounded by several larger towns and cities, including Leeds, Wakefield, and Pontefract.
- Allerton Bywater was historically a coal mining village.
- The village is home to Allerton Bywater Primary School, which serves the local community.
- Allerton Bywater has a number of local amenities including shops, a post office, and a library.
- The village is served by a number of bus routes, providing links to Leeds and other nearby towns.
- Allerton Bywater is part of the Leeds City Council ward of Kippax and Methley.
Allerton Bywater on the map
FAQs About Allerton Bywater
Where is Allerton Bywater located?
Allerton Bywater is located in the county of West Yorkshire, England.
What is Allerton Bywater known for?
Allerton Bywater is known for its rich history, including its past as a coal mining village. It’s also known for its close-knit community and two nearby RSPB reserves: St Aidan’s and Fairburn Ings.
What amenities are available in Allerton Bywater?
Allerton Bywater offers a variety of amenities including local shops, schools, and parks. It also has a community center and is close to larger towns and cities for additional services and entertainment options.
Where Next after Allerton Bywater?
Having visited the charming village of Allerton Bywater in West Yorkshire, you might be wondering where to head next. A short drive away is the bustling city of Leeds, known for its vibrant nightlife, shopping, and rich industrial history. You can explore the Royal Armouries Museum, Leeds Art Gallery, or take a stroll along the Leeds-Liverpool Canal. Alternatively, you could head to the historic city of York, where you can visit the iconic York Minster, walk the ancient city walls, or delve into Viking history at the Jorvik Viking Centre. If you prefer the tranquility of the countryside, the Yorkshire Dales is not too far away, offering stunning landscapes, picturesque villages, and a plethora of walking trails.