Harveys is a long established, family run department store and is something of a Halifax institution, combining the best traditions of the past with contemporary styles. The store has undergone a major refurbishment and expansion in the last few years and, whilst retaining and restoring its splendid architecture, Harveys now forms part of one of the finest unspoilt Victorian streetscapes.
Once inside, an impressive glass lift conveys visitors to four floors of quality shopping, including ladies fashions, lingerie, ladies shoes, menswear, household linens, gifts and cookshop.
Not to be missed is our excellent 170 seat restaurant which offers tempting home cooked meals in attractive surroundings, making Harveys the perfect place to meet friends. We pride ourselves on our long tradition of quality products blended with excellent service and we very much look forward to welcoming you to Harveys.
Harveys was founded in the 1920’s by Mr E T Harvey in a small unit in Dewsbury and by the 1950’s had expanded to another three shops in Halifax, Wakefield and Harrogate. The Halifax store was opened in 1950 on the site of the old ‘Waddingtons Dress Warehouse’ on Rawson Street in the town centre and ran as a ladies fashion shop selling clothing and accessories (including a big business in furs!)
In 1968, the then Managing Director Mr Ian Harvey died, and Mrs Harvey Snr and Mr Roger Harvey continued to build the business throughout the 1970’s and 1980’s when the outlying shops were sold in order to concentrate efforts on the Halifax site.
In late 1988 the company purchased the adjacent ‘Tramways’ building from the council and over a two year period developed this into retail space, which almost doubled the size of the store to 15,000 square feet. The departments then included mens and ladies fashions and accessories, cosmetics & perfumery, lingerie, household linens and a 143 seat restaurant. Expansion then continued with the opening of a cookshop and gift department in 1993.
Planning permission was then obtained to commence an extension to the rear of the building and the adjacent ‘Sun Alliance’ building was purchased in 1994 and a complete refurbishment has continued since then. A fantastic new cosmetic and perfumery hall opened in 1996 and a ‘conservatory’ extension to the restaurant increased the seating to 170. New top name brands were introduced and Halifax’s first glass sided lift was installed smoothly conveying customers to four floors of quality shopping.
Not content to stand still, September 1998 saw the opening of a brand new lingerie department for which Harveys were finalists in 1999 for the ‘Drapers Record Lingerie Department of the Year’ Awards.
October 2003 saw the latest exciting addition to the store with the opening of ‘Harveys HOME’ bringing Halifax the largest choice in home accessories. We are currently 30,000 sqft of selling space and still growing!
Harveys really is a family business. Our current Managing Director, Mrs Tracy Harvey is joined at the helm by her father Roger, her mother, Susan, her brother Richard.
Although Harveys is unrecognisable from the original store, our philosophies remain the same. We are extremely customer focused and enjoy a high reputation for customer care. We aim to offer the best merchandise to meet our customers’ needs in a pleasant environment to which they return again and again. We are a focal point in the local community and will always strive for this to continue.
The uniqueness of Harveys is that we are still 100% family owned and run. This, in today’s rapidly changing economic climate is quite rare and something of which we are very proud.