Beverley is a pretty market town. A prominent feature is the historic and attractive place of worship, Beverley Minster. Beverley is the county town of the East Riding of Yorkshire. The town centre is located 27 miles south-east of York’s centre and 15 miles north-west of City of Hull.
Visitors to Beverley often remark that it’s got a lot more to offer than had been expected. It’s an incredibly interesting, historic market town. Possessing it’s very own Minster (like York) and historic town centre, Beverley is a very pretty town which is full of wow factor for visitors.
There’s plenty to see and do, and some of the most famous pubs and restaurants in Yorkshire, at a slightly slower pace than you’ll find in a city. With the fabulous Yorkshire Wolds on your doorstep, and the East Yorkshire coast within easy reach too, Beverley is an excellent base for a Yorkshire tour.
You’ll find something interesting around every corner in Beverley, a town full of charm. Put this one on your list for your next trip to Yorkshire.
Table of Contents
Discover Beverley – The Jewel of East Yorkshire
Beverley is a thriving traditional market town and its Market Cross still stands proudly in the centre of its bustling marketplace.
Visitors are attracted to this well-loved town by a variety of options – you can enjoy a day at the races, boutique shopping, a quiet drink in an historic pub and a meal in an increasing number of café-bars and restaurants.
The Flemingate Shopping Centre, which is also packed with leisure options, has dramatically transformed an area in the town once known for its tannery.
You can follow your exploration of the wide-open pastures of Beverley Westwood with a visit to the magnificent 13th-century Beverley Minster or a stroll along the Beck.
Also see our page on B&Bs in Beverley.
Above is just a flavour of recently updated accommodation. Browse all overnight stays in Beverley here.
Events in Beverley
Pictures of Beverley
The following attractions in Beverley are worth special attention.
There’s many more things to do in Beverley – click here to see them.
Finding Beverley – Map & Location
Beverley is around 15 miles from Hull, the largest of East Yorkshire‘s cities, and 27 miles south east of York, making it a great base for day trips to either of those cities, but there’s much to see and do in the historic town itself.
Fact Pack – Beverley
- Beverley is a historic market town in East Yorkshire, England.
- The town is known for Beverley Minster, one of the largest parish churches in the UK.
- Beverley was founded around the 7th century by Saint John of Beverley.
- The town was once the tenth-largest town in England, as well as one of the richest, because of its wool and the pilgrims who came to venerate its founding saint, John of Beverley.
- Beverley has a racecourse, Beverley Racecourse, which hosts several flat races every year.
- The town is home to Beverley Westwood, an area of open pasture land, which includes Beverley Racecourse.
- Beverley is also known for its music festival, Beverley Folk Festival, which attracts many visitors each year.
- The town’s architecture is dominated by buildings constructed in the medieval period, with numerous examples of timber-framed structures and Georgian and Victorian architecture.
- Beverley has a number of schools, including Beverley Grammar School, which is one of the oldest state schools in England.
- The town is also home to East Riding College, a further education college that offers a range of courses and apprenticeships.
Frequently Asked Questions about Beverley, East Yorkshire
What is Beverley, East Yorkshire known for?
Beverley is known for its stunning Minster, historic buildings, and its racecourse. It’s a beautiful market town that offers a blend of rich history and vibrant culture.
What are some popular attractions in Beverley, East Yorkshire?
Some popular attractions in Beverley include the Beverley Minster, Beverley Westwood, and the East Riding Theatre. The town also hosts a variety of festivals and events throughout the year.
After exploring the charming market town of Beverley in East Yorkshire, there are several nearby places worth visiting. The city of York, with its rich history, stunning architecture, and the iconic York Minster, is a must-visit. Hull, the 2017 UK City of Culture, offers a vibrant arts scene, fascinating museums, and the impressive Humber Bridge. For nature lovers, the Yorkshire Wolds present a beautiful landscape of rolling hills and quaint villages. The seaside towns of Bridlington, Scarborough, and Whitby offer beautiful beaches, fresh seafood, and the chance to explore the stunning Yorkshire coastline. Lastly, the North York Moors National Park and the historic town of Harrogate are also within easy reach.
See more cities, towns and villages in East Yorkshire.