Get a chance to win a signed copy of “The Tales and Tails of a Yorkshire Vet” by Peter Wright.
Table of Contents
About the book
The nation’s best-loved vet looks back at the funniest, most absurd and heart-breaking animal encounters and situations he has been in over his long and highly successful career. Peter Wright reflects on the changes he’s seen in vet practice, farming and pet ownership, describes how our relationship with our pets has evolved over the decades, remembers his own personal pets and the relationships we build with our animals and recounts his personal grief at the loss of them.
“My mentor and former boss Alf Wight said that the life of a vet is never dull and how true he was. It is funny looking back that he found fame through his James Herriot books, and now his former surgery and myself have been taken to the nation’s heart once again through our show The Yorkshire Vet.
“It just shows what a nation of animal lovers we are and these past few years have been particularly challenging for all of us with the Coronavirus outbreak. But what it has shown me is the comfort and support out pets give us in times like these. All the same, it was this, along with recent changes to my working life that gave me an opportunity to reflect, so I want to look back at some of my favourite cases and share them with you.”
- Trials and tribulations with Possum, the world’s most cantankerous cat
- The gruelling day delivering a reluctant calf and the nail-biting rodeo of dealing with young bulls
- The bizarre case of the horse with a rat’s tooth buried deep inside its jaw
- Hilarious midnight manoeuvres to reunite a stray Rhea with its owner
- The mysterious case of the Greens and the STI-infected cows
- Saving the sight of Dave the emu and rescuing Kevin the female duck
- The miraculous resilience of the dog which lost half its skin after being bitten by a snake
- Winston, the dog with a taste for socks and Khufu the cat who ate 13 hairbands
Full of advice for animal owners and good old fashioned Yorkshire common sense, smattered with some of the characters viewers of The Yorkshire Vet have come to know and love.
About the Author
Peter Wright was born near Thirsk in October 1956 and grew up in North Yorkshire. He worked at Skeldale from 1981 until 2021, where he practised alongside Alf Wight (aka James Herriot) eventually taking over his practice.
Peter is the author of The Yorkshire Vet and My Yorkshire Great and Small and the star of the TVMardle Books
series The Yorkshire Vet, which follows his life and work in North Yorkshire. When not working, Peter enjoys playing bridge, gardening, taking part in tractor rallies and spending time with his family.
How to enter
This giveaway is now closed.
Terms & Conditions
- Deadline for entry is Friday 26th May 2023 at noon.
- The winner will be selected at random by Wednesday 31st May 2023 at 5pm and this decision is final.
- The giveaway is only open to residents in the UK.
- Winner must provide current email address.
- Must be over 18 years old.
- No cash alternative is available.
- Prizes are not transferable and may not be used in conjunction with any other offer.
- Prizes are non-negotiable and non-refundable.
2 thoughts on “Giveaway: signed copy of “The Tales and Tails of a Yorkshire Vet” by Peter Wright”
Your T&Cs for the book giveaway (Peter Wright) are confusing as the draw is starting to be taking place last week two weeks before the closing date.
Well spotted – has now been corrected.