Yorkshire’s newest city, Doncaster, is a thriving place, with much to see and discover. Stay a while and base a visit to beautiful South Yorkshire.
On 1 November 2022, King Charles III officially signed a decree making Doncaster one of England’s newest cities. Until then, the large South Yorkshire population had been one of Yorkshire’s best large towns.
Table of Contents
At the heart of Doncaster is an historic market town where Norman castles, Regency buildings and a rich railway and horse racing heritage thrive.
But Doncaster has also evolved. Now a modern metropolis, it offers an exciting mix of green open spaces and nature reserves with spectacular shopping and nightlife too.
Doncaster launched a reopening campaign in 2020, to show how the town bounced back from the coronovirus pandemic.
There is much to see and do in the town and surrounding area.
In truth, there’s more than enough to fill two days, and you’ll likely leave wanting even more from Donnie in future!
Also see our Doncaster hotels page, or hotels close to Doncaster Sheffield airport.
Garden CottageGarden Cottage, Loversall Farm, Loversall, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, DN11 9DD, United Kingdom
Church View CottageChurch View Cottage, Loversall Farm, Loversall, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, DN11 9DD, United Kingdom
Events in Doncaster
There’s always plenty of interesting events happening in and around Doncaster. A short selection of recently updated events are below:
A TRIBUTE TO TINA TURNER – ‘WHAT’S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT?’ at Yorkshire Wildlife Park, DoncasterWarning Tongue Lane, Doncaster, DN4 6TB
Date & Time:August 19th, 2023 4:00pm
UB40 (Live After Racing) at Doncaster Racecourse, DoncasterLedger Way, Doncaster, DN2 6BB
Date & Time:June 30th, 2023 11:35am
Simon Brodkin: Screwed Up at Cast Doncaster, DoncasterWaterdale, Doncaster, DN1 3BU
Date & Time:November 5th, 2023 8:00pm
postcode festival at , DoncasterDoncaster DN2 4LT, UK, Doncaster,
Date & Time:June 24th, 2023 1:00pm
Ross Noble: JIBBER JABBER JAMBOREE at Cast Doncaster, DoncasterWaterdale, Doncaster, DN1 3BU
Date & Time:March 3rd, 2024 8:00pm
Supreme Queen 2023 – Tribute to the Legend at Doncaster Dome, DoncasterDoncaster Lakeside, Doncaster, DN4 7PD
Date & Time:September 3rd, 2023 7:30pm
You can view the full range of events in Doncaster at our dedicated page here.
Pictures from Doncaster
Attractions in Doncaster
Doncaster RacecourseDoncaster Racecourse, Leger Way, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, DN2 6BB, United Kingdom
Doncaster on the Map
Doncaster is between Sheffield and Hull, closer to the former than the latter, and both Sheffield and Doncaster are the biggest settlements in South Yorkshire.
Doncaster is a large town in South Yorkshire.
Situated near the River Don, Doncaster Minster has a tall tower, stained-glass windows and a Schulze organ, plus a Roman wall on its grounds.
Doncaster Market has hundreds of indoor and outdoor stands and stalls, including the Corn Exchange, a grand Victorian shopping center.
Exhibits at the Doncaster Museum and Art Gallery include a 1914 Cheswold car.
It is the main settlement of the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster and the second largest in South Yorkshire after Sheffield.
The town has a population of just short of 110,000 and the metropolitan borough has over 311,000 residents.
Notable People from Doncaster
Notable people from Doncaster include the following list:
- Yungblud – singer, songwriter and musician.
- Jeremy Clarkson – famous for being the former presenter of Top Gear and face of the show The Grand Tour.
- Louis Tomlinson – former member of the band One Direction, currently a solo artist.
- Kevin Keegan – football manager and former player.
- Emma Chambers – actress, famous for her role of Alice Horton in The Vicar of Dibley and Honey Thacker in Notting Hill.
- Sarah Stevenson – 2011 world champion of Taekwondo.
- James Toseland – a former motocyclist, currently vocalist in a band with his own name.
- Thomas Howes – famous for playing the role of William Mason in the British TV series Downton Abbey.
- Roy Clarke – a writer, famous for his Last of the Summer Wine and Keeping Up Appearances.
- Diana Rigg – actress
- John McLaughlin – guitarist and frontman of Mahavishnu Orchestra
- Tan France – one of the hosts of Queer Eye.
- Andrew White – presenter and producer of Walks Around Britain and writer of The Walker Mysteries novels.
- Danny Schofield – a professional football coach and a former player.
What is Doncaster famous for?
Doncaster is famous for horse racing. Doncaster is one of the oldest racecourses in the world. It hosts two famous horse races: The Doncaster Cup, which is the oldest horse race in the world, and the St Leger Stakes, which is the oldest classic horse race in the world.
Is Doncaster the largest town in England?
Doncaster used to be a large town, but now has city status.
Is Doncaster owned by Scotland?
Doncaster was given to Scotland during the 12th century (The Treaty of Durham). It was never officially reclaimed by England, making the area legally still part of Scotland.