Nestled in the heart of East Yorkshire, East Cottingwith is a charming village that offers a unique blend of tranquility and history. This picturesque destination is a haven for those seeking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life. With its quaint cottages, serene landscapes, and a rich heritage that dates back to the Domesday Book, East Cottingwith promises a delightful experience for tourists. Whether you’re a history enthusiast, a nature lover, or simply looking for a peaceful retreat, this village is sure to captivate your heart.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – East Cottingwith
- East Cottingwith is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England.
- The village is situated approximately 9 miles north-west of the city of York.
- According to the 2011 UK census, East Cottingwith parish had a population of 331.
- The village lies on the former Derwent Navigation (canal), which was made navigable from the River Ouse at Barmby on the Marsh to East Cottingwith between 1702 and 1732.
- East Cottingwith has a village hall which is used for a variety of community events.
- The village is part of the parliamentary constituency of East Yorkshire.
- St Mary’s Church, a Grade II listed building, is the parish church of East Cottingwith.
- The village has a rich history, with evidence of settlement dating back to the Roman times.
- East Cottingwith is surrounded by beautiful countryside, making it a popular place for walking and cycling.
- The village is served by a mobile library service from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.
East Cottingwith on the map
Frequently Asked Questions about East Cottingwith, East Yorkshire
Where is East Cottingwith located in East Yorkshire?
East Cottingwith is a small village located in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is approximately 9 miles north-west of the city of York.
What are some notable attractions in East Cottingwith, East Yorkshire?
East Cottingwith is known for its beautiful countryside views, historic buildings, and the Pocklington Canal which is popular for walking and bird watching.
What are the transportation options in East Cottingwith, East Yorkshire?
East Cottingwith is accessible by road. The nearest railway station is in York, which is about 9 miles away. There are also local bus services that connect East Cottingwith to other nearby towns and villages.
After exploring the charming village of East Cottingwith in East Yorkshire, there are several nearby places worth visiting. Venture to the historic city of York, renowned for its exquisite architecture, tangle of quaint cobbled streets, and iconic York Minster. Nature lovers should head to the North York Moors National Park for its stunning landscapes, ancient woodland, and abundant wildlife. Don’t miss the chance to visit the coastal town of Bridlington, famous for its beautiful beaches and the historic Bridlington Old Town. For a unique experience, the Yorkshire Air Museum and the National Railway Museum offer fascinating insights into the region’s transport history. Lastly, the picturesque market town of Beverley, with its awe-inspiring Minster and thriving music scene, is a must-visit.
See more cities, towns and villages in East Yorkshire.