Welcome to Emley, a charming village located in West Yorkshire. Known for its rich history and picturesque landscapes, Emley offers a unique blend of rural tranquility and cultural heritage. The village is home to the iconic Emley Moor transmitting station, the tallest freestanding structure in the United Kingdom. With its quaint local pubs, scenic walking trails, and friendly community, Emley provides an authentic taste of West Yorkshire’s countryside living. Whether you’re a history enthusiast, nature lover, or simply seeking a peaceful retreat, Emley is a destination that promises a memorable visit.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Emley, West Yorkshire
- Emley is a village in West Yorkshire, England.
- It is located approximately 9 miles south-east of Huddersfield.
- The village is known for the Emley Moor transmitting station, which is a prominent feature of the local landscape.
- The transmitting station is the tallest freestanding structure in the United Kingdom.
- Emley has a population of around 1,500 people.
- The village is part of the civil parish of Kirklees.
- Emley has a rich history, with many of its buildings dating back to the 19th century.
- The village is home to Emley AFC, a non-league football club.
- Emley has a number of local amenities including a primary school, post office, and several pubs.
- The village also hosts an annual agricultural show, which is a popular event in the local calendar.
Emley, West Yorkshire, on the map
FAQs About Emley, West Yorkshire
Where is Emley located?
Emley is a village in West Yorkshire, England. It’s situated approximately midway between Huddersfield and Wakefield.
What is Emley, West Yorkshire known for?
Emley is best known for the Emley Moor transmitting station, which is the tallest freestanding structure in the United Kingdom. The village also has a rich history and features several listed buildings.
What amenities are available in Emley, West Yorkshire?
Emley offers a variety of amenities including local shops, pubs, a primary school, and a church. It also has a cricket club and is surrounded by beautiful countryside, making it a great place for outdoor activities.
Where Next after Emley, West Yorkshire?
Having visited the charming village of Emley in West Yorkshire, you might be wondering where to head next. A short drive away is the bustling city of Leeds, known for its vibrant shopping scene and rich industrial heritage. Alternatively, you could explore the historic town of York, with its stunning Minster, ancient city walls, and the fascinating Jorvik Viking Centre. If you’re a fan of the great outdoors, the Yorkshire Dales National Park is a must-visit, offering breathtaking landscapes and numerous hiking trails. Don’t miss the chance to visit the picturesque town of Haworth, famous for the Bronte sisters, or the spa town of Harrogate, renowned for its beautifully preserved Victorian architecture. All these destinations offer a unique taste of what Yorkshire has to offer.