Full Sutton, located in the picturesque region of East Yorkshire, England, is a charming village that offers a unique blend of tranquility and history. This quaint destination is perfect for tourists who are looking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life and immerse themselves in the serene beauty of the English countryside. With its rich history, stunning landscapes, and friendly locals, Full Sutton promises a truly unforgettable travel experience.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Full Sutton
- Full Sutton is a village in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England.
- It is situated approximately 2 miles east of the market town of Pocklington.
- The village is located on the Pocklington Canal and is surrounded by beautiful countryside.
- Full Sutton is known for its prison, HMP Full Sutton, one of the high-security prisons in the UK.
- The prison was opened in 1987 and houses some of the country’s most dangerous criminals.
- Full Sutton has a small population, with the 2011 Census recording a population of 1,013.
- The village is part of the civil parish of Full Sutton and Skirpenbeck.
- Full Sutton has a small local church, St Mary’s, which is part of the Diocese of York.
- The village is served by a local bus service that connects it to Pocklington and York.
- Full Sutton Airfield, a private airfield, is located just outside the village.
Full Sutton on the map
Frequently Asked Questions about Full Sutton, East Yorkshire
Where is Full Sutton, East Yorkshire located?
Full Sutton is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 2 miles (3.2 km) east of the market town of Pocklington.
What is Full Sutton, East Yorkshire known for?
Full Sutton is known for its peaceful rural setting and its proximity to the city of York. It is also home to HMP Full Sutton, one of the UK’s maximum-security prisons.
What are some attractions in and around Full Sutton, East Yorkshire?
Some attractions in and around Full Sutton include the Burnby Hall Gardens in nearby Pocklington, the historic city of York with its famous Minster, and the beautiful Yorkshire Wolds countryside.
After exploring Full Sutton, East Yorkshire, there are several nearby places worth visiting. York, a historic walled city, is just a short drive away and offers a wealth of attractions including the iconic York Minster, the Jorvik Viking Centre, and the National Railway Museum. Beverley, another charming market town, is known for its stunning Minster and historic buildings. For nature lovers, the Yorkshire Wolds and the North York Moors offer beautiful landscapes and walking trails. The coastal towns of Bridlington, Scarborough, and Whitby are also within easy reach, offering sandy beaches, fresh seafood, and the chance to explore Britain’s maritime heritage.
See more cities, towns and villages in East Yorkshire.