Set in the heart of North Yorkshire, the area around Harrogate is one of the most spectacular areas of England with attractive towns and villages, imposing historic houses, castles, abbeys, beautiful countryside and a host of other natural and man-made attractions.
Harrogate hosted the 2019 UCI World Championships cycling event, supported by Welcome to Yorkshire.
Table of Contents
Welcome to Harrogate
Expect exquisite gardens, beautiful parks, handsome tree-lined boulevards and a chance to lose yourself in the vibrant charm and elegance of this North Yorkshire destination.
Harrogate itself is a magnet for visitors, with it’s famous tea room at Betty’s, as well as amazing, high end shops, and parkland to die for in the World famous Stray owned by the monarch, the Duchy of Lancaster.
A spa town, renowned for its quality of water, Harrogate still has so much to offer that it’s high on any itinerary for a visit to Yorkshire.
Staying in Harrogate
When in need of some me time, Agatha Christie chose Harrogate as a place to stay, and it’s easy to see why. The town is so relaxing by day and by night, and there’s many cosy places to curl up and read a murder mystery novel!
The above list is just an example of some of the accommodation in Harrogate. Have a look at our dedicated pages: Self Catering & Cottage Options and Hotels in Harrogate to view the full information by type.
Things to do in Harrogate
As well as incredible shopping, there’s lots to see and do in Harrogate, which is famous for its cafes and tea rooms, for those of us who like a little comfort while we eat and drink. You’re never left wanting in this pretty spa town. For a summary of the top things to do, click here.
Also make sure you visit Harrogate shopping options, food and drink options, and things to do with the family.
Events in Harrogate
A selection of events scheduled to take place in Harrogate over the coming weeks and months:
Sophie McCartney – Tired & Tested at The Royal Hall, HarrogateRipon Road, Harrogate, HG1 2RD
Date & Time:March 10th, 2024 8:00pm
What’s Love Got To Do With It? at The Royal Hall, HarrogateRipon Road, Harrogate, HG1 2RD
Date & Time:June 4th, 2023 7:00pm
Al Murray – Guv Island at The Royal Hall, HarrogateRipon Road, Harrogate, HG1 2RD
Date & Time:October 19th, 2024 7:30pm
SkyBet League 2 2022/2023 at EnviroVent Stadium, HarrogateWetherby Road, Harrogate, HG2 7SG
Date & Time:May 11th, 2023 12:30pm
Harrogate Crown Hotel Ghost Hunt at , HarrogateParliament St, Harrogate HG1 2WH, UK, Harrogate,
Date & Time:June 10th, 2023 9:00pm
Is Harrogate worth visiting?
With a heritage of thermal spa waters and elegant tea rooms, there’s no shortage of refined things to do in Harrogate. Harrogate is one of the UK’s prettiest and most affluent towns. Although often visited as a day trip from Leeds or York, the town is an excellent base in its own right for a special weekend away.
Why is Harrogate so popular?
Harrogate has long been a place where people head to to unwind and recharge. Famous for its cream teas, Turkish baths, and plentiful spas, it’s not surprising that everyone from Charles Dickens to European royalty have all flocked to Harrogate to enjoy the waters.
Is Harrogate a rich area?
Author. Harrogate has been ranked as the most expensive place for first time buyers in Yorkshire in a survey by Mojo Mortgages. The survey shows homes in Harrogate typically cost £401,747 compared to the national average of £287,830.
Harrogate on the map
Harrogate Fact Pack
- Harrogate is a spa town located in North Yorkshire, England.
- The town has a population of around 75,000 people.
- Harrogate is known for its historic architecture, wide boulevards, and lush gardens.
- The town is home to several famous landmarks, including the Royal Pump Room Museum, the Turkish Baths, and the Harrogate Convention Centre.
- Harrogate was once a popular spa resort, famous for its mineral springs and healing waters.
- The town is home to several art galleries and museums, including the Mercer Art Gallery, the Royal Hall Theatre, and the Harrogate History Museum.
- Harrogate has a vibrant cultural scene, with several annual festivals and events, including the Harrogate Festival of Music and Arts, the Harrogate Autumn Flower Show, and the Great Yorkshire Show.
- The town is surrounded by beautiful countryside, including the Yorkshire Dales and the Nidderdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- Harrogate is a popular destination for foodies, with several award-winning restaurants and local food producers.
- The town has a thriving shopping scene, with a mix of independent boutiques and high-street chains.
- Harrogate is a great base for exploring the rest of Yorkshire, with excellent transport links to nearby towns and cities.
- The town is home to several top-rated golf courses, including the Harrogate Golf Club and the Rudding Park Golf Course.
- Harrogate has a rich sporting heritage, with a history of hosting major events such as the Welcome to Yorkshire inspired Tour de France 2014 Grand Depart and the UCI Road World Championships in 2019.
- The town is home to several prestigious schools and colleges, including the Harrogate Grammar School and the Harrogate Ladies’ College.
- Harrogate has a strong literaDoubleTree by Hilton Harrogate Majestic Hotel & Spary tradition, with several famous authors having lived in or written about the town, including Agatha Christie and W.H. Auden.
- The town is home to several beautiful parks and gardens, including the Valley Gardens, RHS Harlow Carr, and the Stray.
- Harrogate is a popular location for TV and film productions, with several productions having been filmed in the town, including the TV series “Happy Valley” and the film “The History Boys.”
- The town has a rich history, with evidence of human habitation dating back to the Bronze Age.
- Harrogate is home to several famous hotels, including the Majestic Hotel, which hosted several high-profile guests, including Winston Churchill and Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- The town is famous for its tea rooms, with several of the most famous being Bettys Café Tea Rooms, which has been serving afternoon tea since 1919.
- Harrogate is a great destination for outdoor activities, with several local companies offering activities such as rock climbing, caving, and mountain biking.
- The town has a strong connection to the arts and music, with several notable musicians, including Elton John, having performed at the Harrogate International Centre.
- Harrogate is a popular location for weddings and events, with several stunning venues such as the Harrogate Weddings and Events Centre and the Ripley Castle Estate.
- The town has a range of accommodation options, including luxury hotels, bed and breakfasts, and self-catering cottages.
- Harrogate is a beautiful and historic town, with a unique character and charm that make it a must-visit destination in North Yorkshire.
Near to Harrogate, and for the past few years (until 2023) in the same Borough, are Ripon, Knaresborough.