Table of Contents
This quirky corner of West Yorkshire, combines inspirational scenery with traditional market towns. A unique destination for short breaks, family fun or a romantic getaway; explore the riverside villages of Holmfirth and Marsden, culturally diverse Huddersfield or discover the infamous pie town Denby Dale.
Indulge in Brontë history at the Elizabethan manor house of Oakwell Hall (featured in the novel Shirley); and Dewsbury Minster where Patrick Brontë was once curate; all open to the public and not be missed. Its 200 years since Charlotte’s birthday this year…visit us for celebrations throughout the year.
With superb scenery, landscapes and walking and cycling opportunities, Holmfirth and the surrounding areas are the perfect place if you prefer a relaxing country walking holiday to bustling cities.
With picturesque moors, the picture-postcard town of Holmfirth, or the towpaths of the canals and rivers of the Holme Valley few regions offer the richness of choice and the striking contrasts to discover the breath-taking outdoors of the Yorkshire Pennines.
Accommodation in Huddersfield
Events in Huddersfield
Date & Time:October 7th, 2023 7:15pm
Latest about Huddersfield
Huddersfield on the map
Huddersfield Fact Pack
- Huddersfield is a town in West Yorkshire, England, located roughly halfway between Leeds and Manchester.
- It has a population of approximately 162,000 people.
- Huddersfield is home to the University of Huddersfield, which has over 18,000 students.
- The town is known for its industrial heritage, particularly in textiles and engineering.
- The Huddersfield Narrow Canal runs through the town and is a popular attraction for boaters and walkers.
- The Victoria Tower on Castle Hill, a prominent landmark, was built in honor of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897.
- The town’s rugby league team, the Huddersfield Giants, play at the John Smith’s Stadium.
- Huddersfield has a thriving arts scene, with several galleries, theatres, and arts venues, including the Lawrence Batley Theatre.
- The town has a long history of association with classical music, with the Huddersfield Choral Society being one of the most famous choirs in the world.
- Huddersfield is home to several museums, including the Tolson Museum, which showcases local history and culture.
- The town’s central market is one of the largest indoor markets in the UK, with over 100 stalls.
- Huddersfield Town Football Club, founded in 1908, was the first team to win three consecutive English League titles.
- The town has several beautiful parks and green spaces, including Greenhead Park and Beaumont Park.
- Huddersfield has a rich literary history, with several notable authors having been born or lived in the town, including Harold Wilson and Simon Armitage.
- The town has several historic landmarks, including St. Peter’s Church, which dates back to the 12th century.
- Huddersfield has a thriving food and drink scene, with several restaurants and pubs serving local cuisine and real ale.
- The town has a strong tradition of community involvement, with several community-led initiatives and projects.
- Huddersfield is home to the famous Huddersfield Giants rugby league team.
- The town has several annual events and festivals, including the Huddersfield Food and Drink Festival and the Huddersfield Literature Festival.
- Huddersfield has a rich musical history, with several famous musicians having been born or lived in the town, including David Bowie’s guitarist Mick Ronson and former KLF member Jimmy Cauty.
- The town has a rich history of radicalism and social justice, with several notable figures, including Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, having visited or lived in the town.
- Huddersfield has a diverse population, with a range of ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- The town is a vibrant and exciting place to live, work, and visit, with a rich history, cultural diversity, and stunning natural beauty.
FAQs about Huddersfield
Can I Book a Short Term Apartment Rental in Huddersfield?
There is a nice range of bookable apartments in Huddersfield – it’s one of the best served towns in Yorkshire for this type of bookable property, and with so much on the doorstep in this part of West Yorkshire, there are so many reasons to stay!
What famous people come from Huddersfield?
Is Huddersfield a City?
Huddersfield is not a city, it is a town. The town’s football club is even called Huddersfield Town!
Are Huddersfield Town football club in the Premier League?
Huddersfield Town currently (2022/23) play in the Championship, England’s second tier of football, after being relegated from the Premier League at the end of the 2019/20 season. They’d been promoted in 2017, following a win in the Playoffs.