To get from York to the Yorkshire Dales using public transport, you can follow these steps:
- Take a train from York to Skipton. Trains run regularly from York station to Skipton station, with the journey taking approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Once in Skipton, take the local bus service, DalesBus 872, which runs from Skipton to Grassington via the Yorkshire Dales. This service runs on Sundays and Bank Holidays from April to October, and daily during July and August. It’s advisable to check the bus timetable in advance to plan your trip.
- Alternatively, you can take the local bus service, DalesBus 74, which runs from Skipton to Hawes via the Yorkshire Dales. This service runs all year round, but less frequently than the 872 bus service. Again, it’s advisable to check the bus timetable in advance to plan your trip.
- Both of these bus services are operated by the Dales & Bowland Community Interest Company and offer a hop-on, hop-off service, allowing you to explore different parts of the Yorkshire Dales at your own pace.
- Once you’re ready to return to York, you can retrace your steps and take the train from Skipton back to York.
Overall, public transport is a convenient and affordable way to explore the Yorkshire Dales from York, offering a scenic and eco-friendly way to see the sights.
Find out more at friendsofdalesbus.org