Nestled in the heart of East Yorkshire, Kilnwick Percy is a charming hamlet that offers a unique blend of history, tranquility, and natural beauty. This picturesque destination is a perfect retreat for those seeking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life. With its historic church, serene lake, and the renowned Buddhist Centre, Kilnwick Percy promises a truly enriching and relaxing experience. Whether you’re a history enthusiast, a nature lover, or a spiritual seeker, this quaint hamlet is sure to captivate your senses and leave you with unforgettable memories.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Kilnwick Percy
- Kilnwick Percy is a small hamlet located in East Yorkshire, England.
- The place is also known as ‘KP’ among the locals.
- It is home to a historic building, the Kilnwick Percy Hall, which dates back to the 18th century.
- Kilnwick Percy Hall is now used as a Buddhist meditation centre and retreat, known as the Madhyamaka Kadampa Meditation Centre.
- The hamlet is surrounded by beautiful landscapes, including a lake and woodland walks.
- The Kilnwick Percy Golf Club is a popular attraction in the area, offering an 18-hole golf course.
- The area is rich in wildlife, with many species of birds, mammals, and insects found in the surrounding countryside.
- The hamlet is part of the civil parish of Pocklington.
- There is a public footpath that leads to the Kilnwick Percy Resort, which offers luxury lodges and a range of leisure facilities.
- The name ‘Kilnwick Percy’ is of Old English origin, with ‘Kilnwick’ meaning ‘farmstead or village at a kiln’ and ‘Percy’ referring to the Percy family who were once lords of the manor.
Kilnwick Percy on the map
Frequently Asked Questions about Kilnwick Percy, East Yorkshire
Where is Kilnwick Percy located in East Yorkshire?
Kilnwick Percy is a small village and civil parish located in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 2 miles north-east from the market town of Pocklington.
What are some notable attractions in Kilnwick Percy?
Kilnwick Percy is home to the Kilnwick Percy Hall, a Grade II listed country house that is now a Buddhist retreat centre. The Kilnwick Percy Golf Club is also a popular attraction for golf enthusiasts.
How can I reach Kilnwick Percy from the nearest city?
If you’re coming from York, the nearest city, you can take the A1079 road towards Hull and then turn onto the B1246 road towards Pocklington. From there, follow the signs to Kilnwick Percy.
After exploring the tranquil beauty of Kilnwick Percy in East Yorkshire, there are several nearby places worth visiting. The historic city of York, with its stunning Minster, ancient city walls, and the fascinating Jorvik Viking Centre, is a must-visit. Nature lovers should head to the North York Moors National Park for breathtaking landscapes and hiking trails. The charming seaside town of Bridlington offers beautiful beaches and a bustling harbour. Don’t miss the chance to visit the stately home and gardens at Burton Agnes Hall, or the awe-inspiring chalk cliffs of Flamborough Head. For those interested in aviation history, the Yorkshire Air Museum in Elvington is a fascinating stop.
See more cities, towns and villages in East Yorkshire.