Nestled in the heart of East Yorkshire, Kirby Underdale is a charming, picturesque village that offers a unique blend of tranquility and history. This hidden gem is surrounded by rolling hills, lush green landscapes, and a wealth of historical landmarks. Whether you’re a history enthusiast, a nature lover, or simply looking for a peaceful retreat, Kirby Underdale promises an unforgettable experience. Its serene ambiance, coupled with its rich heritage, makes it an ideal destination for tourists seeking to explore the unspoiled beauty of rural England.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Kirby Underdale
- Kirby Underdale is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England.
- The village is situated approximately 20 miles east of York and 10 miles north-west of Pocklington.
- According to the 2011 Census, the parish had a population of 110.
- The village is located in a valley, which is where it gets its name ‘Underdale’.
- Kirby Underdale is part of the Yorkshire Wolds Way National Trail, a long distance footpath.
- The village church, All Saints, is a Grade II* listed building and dates back to the 12th century.
- The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book as ‘Chirbi’, which means ‘village with a church’.
- Kirby Underdale is part of the parliamentary constituency of East Yorkshire.
- The village is surrounded by beautiful countryside, with rolling hills and farmland.
- Despite its small size, Kirby Underdale has a strong sense of community with various events and activities taking place throughout the year.
Kirby Underdale on the map
Frequently Asked Questions about Kirby Underdale
Where is Kirby Underdale located?
Kirby Underdale is a small village located in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England.
What are some notable attractions in Kirby Underdale?
Kirby Underdale is known for its peaceful rural setting, historic church, and beautiful walking trails.
How can I reach Kirby Underdale?
Kirby Underdale is accessible by road. The nearest railway station is in York, which is about 20 miles away.
After exploring the charming village of Kirby Underdale in East Yorkshire, there are several nearby places worth visiting. The historic city of York, with its stunning Minster, ancient city walls, and the fascinating Jorvik Viking Centre, is a must-visit. Nature lovers should head to the Yorkshire Wolds, a series of rolling hills and tranquil valleys perfect for walking and cycling. The market town of Beverley, known for its awe-inspiring Minster and vibrant market, offers a delightful blend of the old and new. Don’t miss the chance to visit the coastal town of Bridlington, where you can enjoy sandy beaches, a picturesque harbour, and the stunning Flamborough Headland. Lastly, the stately home and gardens of Castle Howard, one of Britain’s finest historic houses, is just a short drive away.
See more cities, towns and villages in East Yorkshire.