Welcome to Lissett, a charming little village nestled in the heart of East Yorkshire, England. This quaint destination is a hidden gem, offering a tranquil retreat from the hustle and bustle of city life. With its picturesque landscapes, historic landmarks, and friendly locals, Lissett provides a unique blend of rural charm and cultural richness. Whether you’re a history enthusiast, nature lover, or simply seeking a peaceful getaway, Lissett promises an unforgettable experience for every kind of traveler.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Lissett
- Lissett is a small village located in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England.
- The village is situated approximately 10 miles east of the town of Driffield.
- Lissett is part of the civil parish of Ulrome.
- The village is known for its beautiful rural setting and peaceful atmosphere.
- Historically, Lissett was part of the Bridlington rural district until 1974.
- During World War II, Lissett was home to RAF Lissett, an important Royal Air Force station.
- Today, the site of the former RAF Lissett is now a wind farm, known as Lissett Airfield Wind Farm.
- The wind farm consists of 12 turbines and was officially opened in 2008.
- The village has a war memorial dedicated to the airmen who served at RAF Lissett during the Second World War.
- Lissett is also home to St. James’ Church, a Grade II listed building dating back to the 12th century.
Lissett on the map
FAQs about Lissett, East Yorkshire
Where is Lissett located in East Yorkshire?
Lissett is a small village located in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is approximately 6 miles south-west from the town of Bridlington.
What is Lissett known for?
Lissett is known for its World War II airfield, RAF Lissett, which was used by the Royal Air Force as a bomber station. Today, the site is home to a wind farm.
What are the transportation options in Lissett, East Yorkshire?
Lissett is a rural village and thus has limited public transportation options. However, it is accessible by car and there are a few local taxi services. The nearest train station is located in Bridlington.
After exploring the charming village of Lissett in East Yorkshire, there are several nearby places worth visiting. Bridlington, a coastal town just a short drive away, offers beautiful sandy beaches, a bustling harbour, and the historic Bridlington Priory. The city of Hull, known for its vibrant cultural scene, is home to the impressive Hull Maritime Museum and The Deep, one of the UK’s largest aquariums. Nature lovers should not miss a visit to the Yorkshire Wolds, a range of low rolling hills offering stunning landscapes and numerous walking trails. The nearby town of Driffield, known as the ‘Capital of the Wolds’, is also worth a visit for its charming streets, independent shops, and weekly market.
See more cities, towns and villages in East Yorkshire.