Welcome to Meltham, a charming town located in West Yorkshire. Known for its rich industrial history and stunning natural beauty, Meltham offers a unique blend of past and present. Surrounded by the rolling Pennine hills, this town is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts, with numerous walking trails and cycling routes. Its close proximity to larger towns like Huddersfield and Holmfirth also makes it an ideal base for exploring the wider region. With a vibrant community spirit, a range of local shops, and a variety of annual events, Meltham is a destination that offers something for everyone.
Table of Contents
Accommodation in Meltham
Fact Pack – Meltham, West Yorkshire
- Meltham is a town located in West Yorkshire, England.
- It is situated within the Metropolitan Borough of Kirklees.
- The town is approximately 4.5 miles southwest of Huddersfield.
- Meltham is surrounded by several conservation areas including the Peak District National Park and the South Pennines.
- The town has a population of around 8,000 people.
- Meltham is known for its annual 1940s wartime weekend event, which attracts visitors from all over the country.
- The town is the birthplace of the famous tractor manufacturer, David Brown Tractors.
- Meltham has a rich industrial history, with a past in the cotton industry and engineering.
- The town is home to several listed buildings, including Meltham Hall and St. Bartholomew’s Church.
- Meltham has a variety of local amenities including shops, schools, and a golf club.
Meltham on the map
FAQs About Meltham
Where is Meltham located?
Meltham is located in West Yorkshire, England. It’s approximately 5 miles south-west of Huddersfield.
What is Meltham known for?
Meltham is known for its beautiful countryside views, as it is located within the South Pennines. It’s also known for its rich industrial history, particularly in the textile industry.
What amenities are available in Meltham?
Meltham offers a variety of amenities including shops, restaurants, pubs, and schools. It also has several parks and is close to the Peak District National Park, making it a great location for outdoor activities.
Where Next after Meltham?
After visiting the charming town of Meltham in West Yorkshire, there are several other key locations nearby that are worth exploring. You could head to the bustling city of Leeds, known for its vibrant nightlife, shopping, and rich industrial history. Alternatively, you could visit the historic town of York, with its stunning Minster, ancient city walls, and the fascinating Jorvik Viking Centre. If you’re a fan of the great outdoors, the Yorkshire Dales National Park is a must-visit, offering breathtaking landscapes, hiking trails, and quaint villages. Don’t miss out on the picturesque coastal towns of Whitby and Scarborough either, both offering beautiful beaches and delicious seafood. All these places are within Yorkshire and offer a diverse range of experiences.