Welcome to Netherton, a small village located between Huddersfield and Meltham in the metropolitan borough of Kirklees, West Yorkshire. This quaint locale is known for its rich history, picturesque landscapes, and friendly community. Netherton offers a unique blend of rural tranquility and easy access to urban amenities, making it an ideal destination for visitors seeking a peaceful retreat without straying too far from the hustle and bustle. With its rolling hills, historic architecture, and a variety of local businesses, Netherton provides a truly authentic Yorkshire experience.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Netherton, Kirklees, West Yorkshire
- Netherton is a village located in the metropolitan borough of Kirklees, in West Yorkshire, England.
- The village is situated approximately 3 miles southwest of Huddersfield town center.
- Netherton is part of the Colne Valley parliamentary constituency.
- The village is surrounded by beautiful countryside, including the Blackmoorfoot Reservoir.
- Netherton has a small number of local amenities including a post office, a primary school, and several pubs.
- The village is known for its community spirit, with several events taking place throughout the year.
- Netherton’s name is derived from the Old English words ‘nether’ and ‘tun’, meaning ‘lower farm’.
- The village has a rich industrial history, with several mills once operating in the area.
- Public transport links in Netherton include regular bus services to Huddersfield and surrounding areas.
- The village is home to the Netherton Moor Road Cricket Club, which plays in the Drakes Huddersfield Cricket League.
Netherton, Kirklees, on the map
FAQs About Netherton, Kirklees
Where is Netherton located?
Netherton is located in the Kirklees district of West Yorkshire, England.
What is Netherton, Kirklees, West Yorkshire known for?
Netherton is a small village known for its picturesque countryside views and its close-knit community. It’s also in close proximity to larger towns and cities in West Yorkshire.
What are the transportation options in Netherton, Kirklees, West Yorkshire?
Netherton is well-served by local bus services connecting it to nearby towns and cities. For more extensive travel, the nearest train stations are located in Huddersfield and Wakefield.
Where Next after Netherton, Kirklees?
After visiting the charming village of Netherton in Kirklees, West Yorkshire, there are several other key locations nearby that are worth exploring. You could head to the bustling city of Leeds, known for its vibrant shopping scene and rich industrial heritage. Alternatively, you could visit the historic town of York, with its stunning Minster, ancient city walls, and fascinating Viking history. The beautiful countryside of the Yorkshire Dales National Park is also within easy reach, offering breathtaking landscapes and picturesque villages. If you’re a fan of literature, the Brontë Parsonage Museum in Haworth, where the famous Brontë sisters lived and wrote, is a must-visit. Lastly, don’t miss out on a trip to the coastal town of Whitby, famous for its atmospheric Abbey ruins and association with Bram Stoker’s Dracula.