Welcome to Northowram, a charming village located in West Yorkshire. This historic locale is steeped in rich heritage, with its roots tracing back to the Anglo-Saxon period. Northowram offers a unique blend of rural tranquility and accessibility to urban amenities, being just a stone’s throw away from the bustling town of Halifax. With its picturesque landscapes, well-preserved architecture, and friendly community, Northowram provides an authentic Yorkshire experience for visitors seeking a peaceful retreat.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Northowram, West Yorkshire
- Northowram is a village in Calderdale, West Yorkshire, England.
- It is located on a high, prominent position above Halifax.
- The village is part of the Halifax parliamentary constituency.
- Northowram has a rich history dating back to the Anglo-Saxon period.
- It was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as ‘Noruueram’.
- The village is home to several listed buildings, including Northowram Hall and Heywood United Reformed Church.
- Northowram has a population of approximately 7,000 people.
- The village has a number of amenities including a primary school, library, and several shops.
- Northowram is surrounded by beautiful countryside, with several walking trails and nature reserves nearby.
- The village hosts an annual Scarecrow Festival, attracting visitors from around the region.
Northowram on the map
FAQs About Northowram
Where is Northowram located?
Northowram is located in West Yorkshire, England.
What is Northowram known for?
Northowram is known for its rich history, beautiful landscapes, and its close proximity to Halifax, a major town in West Yorkshire.
What are some attractions or places to visit in Northowram?
Some attractions in Northowram include the Northowram Historical Society, which offers insights into the village’s history, and the nearby Shibden Hall, a historic house dating back to the 15th century. The village is also surrounded by beautiful countryside, perfect for walking and exploring.
Where Next after Northowram?
Having visited the charming village of Northowram in West Yorkshire, you might be wondering where to head next. A short drive away is the bustling city of Leeds, known for its vibrant shopping scene and rich industrial heritage. You could also explore the historic town of Halifax, home to the stunning Piece Hall and Eureka! The National Children’s Museum. If you’re a fan of the Brontë sisters, a trip to the quaint village of Haworth is a must, where you can visit the Brontë Parsonage Museum. For nature lovers, the Yorkshire Dales National Park is within reach, offering breathtaking landscapes and numerous hiking trails. Don’t miss out on visiting the medieval city of York, with its magnificent Minster, historic Shambles, and the Jorvik Viking Centre. All these locations offer a diverse taste of what Yorkshire has to offer.