Welcome to Portington, a charming little village nestled in the heart of East Yorkshire, England. This quaint destination is a hidden gem, offering a serene escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. With its picturesque landscapes, historic landmarks, and warm, welcoming locals, Portington is a perfect retreat for those seeking a tranquil and authentic English countryside experience. Whether you’re a history enthusiast, nature lover, or simply a curious traveler, Portington promises a unique and memorable visit.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Portington
- Portington is a small village located in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England.
- The village is situated approximately 2 miles east of the town of Howden.
- Portington is part of the civil parish of Eastrington.
- The village is recorded in the Domesday Book as ‘Portitone’.
- Historically, Portington was part of the West Riding of Yorkshire.
- Portington Hall, a Grade II listed building, is one of the notable structures in the village.
- The village is surrounded by agricultural land, reflecting its rural setting.
- Portington has a population of less than 200 people, making it a very small community.
- The village does not have its own church; the nearest is in the neighbouring village of Eastrington.
- Despite its small size, Portington is rich in history and offers a peaceful rural lifestyle.
Portington on the map
Frequently Asked Questions about Portington, East Yorkshire
Where is Portington located in East Yorkshire?
Portington is a small village located in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is approximately 14 miles west of the city of Kingston upon Hull.
What are some notable attractions in Portington, East Yorkshire?
Portington is known for its peaceful rural setting. While it doesn’t have major tourist attractions, its charm lies in its tranquility and natural beauty. Nearby, you can visit the city of Kingston upon Hull, which offers a variety of attractions including museums, art galleries, and historic sites.
What is the population of Portington, East Yorkshire?
Portington is a small village with a population of less than 200 people. It’s a tight-knit community with a relaxed, rural lifestyle.
After exploring the quaint village of Portington in East Yorkshire, there are several nearby places worth visiting. Head to the historic market town of Howden, known for its stunning Minster and array of charming shops and cafes. Nature lovers should not miss a visit to the North Cave Wetlands nature reserve, a haven for birdwatchers. For a taste of city life, the vibrant city of Hull is just a short drive away, offering a range of attractions including The Deep, one of the UK’s largest aquariums, and the fascinating Hull Maritime Museum. Alternatively, take a leisurely drive through the scenic Yorkshire Wolds, an area of outstanding natural beauty, dotted with picturesque villages and rolling hills.
See more cities, towns and villages in East Yorkshire.