Welcome to Scarcroft, a charming village located in West Yorkshire. Known for its picturesque landscapes and tranquil ambiance, Scarcroft offers a unique blend of rural charm and modern amenities. The village is surrounded by lush green fields and beautiful woodland, making it a perfect destination for nature lovers. With its rich history, well-preserved architecture, and friendly locals, Scarcroft provides an authentic Yorkshire experience. Whether you’re here for a day trip or a longer stay, this village is sure to captivate you with its serene beauty and warm hospitality.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Scarcroft, West Yorkshire
- Scarcroft is a village and civil parish in the City of Leeds metropolitan borough, West Yorkshire, England.
- The village is situated midway between Leeds and Wetherby, in the LS14 Leeds postcode area.
- Scarcroft is a relatively small village, with a population of just over 1,000 people according to the 2011 Census.
- The name ‘Scarcroft’ is thought to be derived from the Old Norse ‘skarfr’, meaning ‘cormorant’, and ‘croft’, a small enclosed field.
- Scarcroft has a village hall, which is used for a variety of community events and activities.
- The village is home to Scarcroft Golf Club, which was established in 1937 and is set in parkland.
- Scarcroft has a primary school, Scarcroft Primary School, which was rated as ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted in 2013.
- The village is surrounded by beautiful countryside, with several public footpaths and bridleways providing opportunities for walking and horse riding.
- Scarcroft is home to several listed buildings, including the Grade II listed Scarcroft Lodge, which was built in 1830.
- The village has a pub, The New Inn, which is a popular spot for locals and visitors alike.
Scarcroft on the map
FAQs About Scarcroft
Where is Scarcroft located?
Scarcroft is located in West Yorkshire, England.
What is Scarcroft known for?
Scarcroft is known for its peaceful rural setting, beautiful landscapes, and historic buildings. It’s a popular residential area with a strong sense of community.
What amenities are available in Scarcroft, West Yorkshire?
Scarcroft has a variety of amenities including a village hall, a golf club, and several pubs and restaurants. It’s also close to the city of Leeds, providing easy access to a wider range of facilities and services.
Where Next after Scarcroft?
Having visited the charming village of Scarcroft in West Yorkshire, you might be wondering where to head next. A short drive away is the vibrant city of Leeds, known for its rich industrial heritage and bustling shopping districts. You could also explore the historic spa town of Harrogate, famous for its beautifully preserved Victorian architecture and the stunning RHS Harlow Carr gardens. If you’re a fan of the great outdoors, the Yorkshire Dales National Park is a must-visit, offering breathtaking landscapes and numerous hiking trails. Alternatively, you could head to the picturesque town of Ilkley, nestled in the Wharfe Valley, where you can enjoy a walk on the famous Ilkley Moor or visit the ancient Ilkley Roman Fort. All these destinations are within easy reach and offer a diverse range of experiences, making Yorkshire a region full of surprises.