Welcome to Scholes-in-Elmet, located in Leeds, West Yorkshire. This serene location is a perfect blend of rural tranquillity and urban convenience, offering visitors a unique experience. Scholes is known for its picturesque landscapes, historic architecture, and friendly community. Just a stone’s throw away from the bustling city of Leeds, Scholes provides a peaceful retreat with easy access to city amenities. Whether you’re a nature lover, history buff, or just looking for a quiet getaway, Scholes has something to offer everyone.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Scholes, Leeds, West Yorkshire
- Scholes is a village in the City of Leeds metropolitan borough, West Yorkshire, England.
- It is situated east of Leeds city centre and is close to the A64 York Road.
- The village is part of the civil parish of Barwick in Elmet and Scholes.
- Scholes was historically a part of the West Riding of Yorkshire until 1974.
- The village has a population of approximately 2,500 people.
- Scholes has a number of amenities including a primary school, a library, and several shops.
- The village is surrounded by farmland and has several public footpaths leading to the surrounding countryside.
- Scholes has a cricket club which competes in the Airedale & Wharfedale Senior Cricket League.
- The village has a strong community spirit with several annual events such as the Scholes Village Show.
- The name ‘Scholes’ is derived from the Old Norse word ‘skali’, meaning ‘temporary shed’.
Scholes-in-Elmet on the map
FAQs About Scholes, Leeds
Where is Scholes located?
Scholes is located in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England.
What is Scholes known for in Leeds, West Yorkshire?
Scholes is known as a quiet, residential village with a strong sense of community. It offers a peaceful environment while still being close to the city of Leeds.
What are the transportation options in Scholes, Leeds, West Yorkshire?
Scholes is well-served by local bus services that connect it to Leeds city centre and other nearby towns. For those driving, it’s easily accessible via the A64 and A58 roads. The nearest train station is Cross Gates, which is about 3 miles away.
Where Next after Scholes, Leeds?
Having visited the charming village of Scholes in Leeds, West Yorkshire, there are several other key locations nearby that are worth exploring. You could head to the bustling city of Leeds itself, known for its vibrant nightlife, shopping, and rich industrial history. Alternatively, you could venture to the historic town of York, with its stunning Minster, ancient city walls, and the fascinating Jorvik Viking Centre. If you’re a fan of the great outdoors, the Yorkshire Dales National Park is a must-visit, offering breathtaking landscapes, picturesque villages, and a plethora of walking trails. Don’t miss the chance to visit the Bronte Parsonage Museum in Haworth, where the famous Bronte sisters lived and wrote their classic novels. Lastly, the coastal town of Whitby, with its atmospheric Abbey and delicious seafood, is also within reach. All these locations offer a taste of the diverse beauty and heritage that Yorkshire has to offer.