Welcome to South Elmsall, a vibrant town located in West Yorkshire. Known for its rich industrial heritage, South Elmsall offers a unique blend of history and modernity. The town is home to a bustling market, a variety of shops, and a range of eateries, making it a lively destination for visitors. With its close proximity to larger cities like Leeds and Sheffield, South Elmsall serves as a convenient base for exploring the wider region. Whether you’re interested in history, shopping, or simply soaking up the local culture, South Elmsall has something to offer everyone.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – South Elmsall, West Yorkshire
- South Elmsall is a small town located in West Yorkshire, England.
- It is part of the Metropolitan Borough of Wakefield.
- The town is situated approximately 8 miles southeast of Wakefield.
- South Elmsall was historically a part of the West Riding of Yorkshire.
- It is known for its coal mining history, with Frickley Colliery being one of the main sources of employment until its closure in 1993.
- The town has a population of around 6,500 people.
- South Elmsall has its own railway station, providing connections to Leeds, Wakefield, and Doncaster.
- The town is home to several schools, including Minsthorpe Community College and Ash Grove Primary Academy.
- South Elmsall Market is a popular local attraction, offering a variety of goods from local vendors.
- The town has a number of sports facilities, including a football club and a rugby league club.
South Elmsall on the map
FAQs About South Elmsall
Where is South Elmsall located?
South Elmsall is located in West Yorkshire, England.
What is South Elmsall known for?
South Elmsall is known for its rich history and its location within the beautiful countryside of West Yorkshire. It was once a significant coal mining town.
What are the transportation options in South Elmsall?
South Elmsall is well connected by road and rail. The South Elmsall railway station provides regular services to Leeds, Wakefield, Doncaster, and Sheffield. There are also local bus services for transportation within the town and to nearby areas.
Where Next after South Elmsall?
Having visited the charming town of South Elmsall in West Yorkshire, you might be wondering where to head next. A short drive away is the historic city of Wakefield, known for its magnificent cathedral and the Hepworth Wakefield art gallery. You could also explore the nearby Pontefract, famous for its medieval castle and liquorice sweets. If you’re a nature lover, the stunning landscapes of the Yorkshire Dales National Park are a must-visit. Alternatively, you could head to Leeds, a vibrant city with a rich industrial heritage, excellent shopping, and a thriving arts scene. Don’t forget to visit the Royal Armouries Museum and Leeds Art Gallery. All these locations offer a taste of the diverse experiences Yorkshire has to offer.