Welcome to South Kirkby, a charming town located in West Yorkshire. Known for its rich history and vibrant community, South Kirkby offers a unique blend of rural tranquility and urban convenience. The town is home to several historical landmarks, beautiful parks, and a variety of local businesses. Whether you’re a history buff, nature lover, or food enthusiast, South Kirkby has something to offer. Experience the warmth of its people, the beauty of its landscapes, and the charm of its streets as you explore this remarkable town.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – South Kirkby, West Yorkshire
- South Kirkby is a town in West Yorkshire, England.
- It is located approximately 14 miles southeast of Leeds.
- The town is part of the City of Wakefield metropolitan borough.
- South Kirkby was historically a part of the West Riding of Yorkshire.
- It is known for its rich coal mining history, with the South Kirkby Colliery operating until 1988.
- The town is served by the South Kirkby and Moorthorpe railway station.
- South Kirkby has a population of around 11,000 people.
- The town is home to the South Kirkby Waste Treatment and Recycling Centre, one of the most advanced facilities of its kind in the UK.
- South Kirkby is home to several parks and green spaces, including the Millars’ Bridge Nature Reserve.
- The town’s local football team, South Kirkby Colliery F.C., plays in the Sheffield & Hallamshire County Senior Football League.
South Kirkby on the map
FAQs About South Kirkby
Where is South Kirkby located?
South Kirkby is located in West Yorkshire, England.
What is South Kirkby known for?
South Kirkby is known for its rich history, particularly its involvement in the coal mining industry. It’s also known for its beautiful landscapes and friendly community.
What are some attractions or places to visit in South Kirkby?
Some attractions in South Kirkby include the South Kirkby Colliery, which offers a glimpse into the town’s mining history, and the surrounding countryside which is perfect for walking and cycling.
Where Next after South Kirkby?
Having visited the charming village of South Kirkby in West Yorkshire, you might be wondering where to head next. A short drive away is the historic city of Wakefield, known for its magnificent cathedral and the Hepworth Wakefield art gallery. Alternatively, you could head to Pontefract, a town steeped in history with its medieval castle and famous licorice factories. If you’re a nature lover, the stunning landscapes of the Yorkshire Dales National Park are not to be missed. For a seaside experience, the coastal town of Scarborough in North Yorkshire offers beautiful beaches and a lively atmosphere. Lastly, don’t forget to visit the vibrant city of Leeds, renowned for its shopping, nightlife, and the Royal Armouries Museum. All these locations offer a taste of the diverse experiences Yorkshire has to offer.