Welcome to Thwing, a charming village nestled in the heart of East Yorkshire, England. This quaint location is steeped in history and surrounded by the stunning landscapes of the Yorkshire Wolds. Thwing offers a unique blend of tranquility and adventure, with its ancient landmarks, scenic walking trails, and warm, welcoming community. Whether you’re a history enthusiast, nature lover, or simply seeking a peaceful retreat, Thwing promises an unforgettable experience for every kind of tourist.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Thwing
- Thwing is a small village located in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England.
- The village is situated approximately 9 miles north of Driffield and 9 miles south-east of Scarborough.
- Thwing is part of the civil parish of Thwing and Octon.
- The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 where it is referred to as ‘Twenge’.
- Thwing is home to All Saints’ Church, a Grade II listed building that dates back to the 12th century.
- The village is surrounded by open farmland and is known for its rural and peaceful atmosphere.
- Thwing is believed to be the birthplace of King Edwin of Northumbria, who was a significant figure in the conversion of England to Christianity.
- The village has a population of less than 500 people, making it a small and close-knit community.
- Thwing has a village hall which is used for a variety of community events and activities.
- The village is also home to a number of traditional English country cottages, some of which are several centuries old.
Thwing on the map
Frequently Asked Questions about Thwing, East Yorkshire
Where is Thwing, East Yorkshire located?
Thwing is a small village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 9 miles north of Driffield and 9 miles south-west of Bridlington.
What are some notable attractions in Thwing, East Yorkshire?
Thwing is known for its beautiful countryside views and historical sites. The All Saints’ Church, a Grade II listed building, is one of the notable attractions in the village.
What are the transportation options in Thwing, East Yorkshire?
Thwing is accessible by car and public transportation. The nearest railway station is located in Bridlington, and there are regular bus services connecting Thwing to nearby towns and villages.
After exploring Thwing in East Yorkshire, there are several nearby places worth visiting. The historic market town of Driffield, known as the ‘Capital of the Wolds’, is just a short drive away and offers a variety of shops, eateries, and a weekly market. Nature lovers should head to Bempton Cliffs, a renowned RSPB reserve, home to a variety of seabirds. For those interested in history, the stunning Burton Agnes Hall, a magnificent Elizabethan stately home with beautiful gardens, is a must-visit. The bustling seaside resort of Bridlington, with its sandy beaches and charming old town, is also within easy reach. Lastly, the city of York, with its rich history, stunning architecture, and numerous attractions, is less than an hour’s drive away.
See more cities, towns and villages in East Yorkshire.