Welcome to Upperthong, a charming village located in the scenic county of West Yorkshire. Known for its picturesque landscapes and tranquil ambiance, this quaint locale offers a unique blend of rural charm and rich history. Upperthong is a place where rolling hills meet traditional stone cottages, creating a serene environment that’s perfect for those seeking a peaceful retreat. With its close proximity to the bustling town of Holmfirth, visitors can enjoy the best of both worlds – the tranquility of the countryside and the vibrancy of town life. Whether you’re a history enthusiast, nature lover, or simply looking for a relaxing getaway, Upperthong is a destination that promises a memorable visit.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Upperthong, West Yorkshire
- Upperthong is a small village located in West Yorkshire, England.
- The village is part of the civil parish of Holmfirth.
- It is situated in the metropolitan borough of Kirklees.
- Upperthong is located in the Holme Valley, which is in the eastern foothills of the Pennines.
- The village is known for its beautiful rural setting and panoramic views.
- Upperthong has a local church, St. John’s, which dates back to the 19th century.
- The village hosts an annual event known as the Upperthong Gala, which includes a variety of activities and entertainment.
- Upperthong has a local cricket club, the Upperthong Cricket Club, which is part of the Drakes Huddersfield Cricket League.
- The village is also home to the Upperthong Junior and Infant School.
- Upperthong is surrounded by a network of public footpaths, making it a popular destination for walkers and hikers.
Upperthong on the map
FAQs About Upperthong
Where is Upperthong located?
Upperthong is located in West Yorkshire, England.
What is Upperthong known for?
Upperthong is a small village known for its picturesque countryside views and traditional English charm. It’s also part of the Holme Valley, which is famous for being the setting of the long-running British sitcom “Last of the Summer Wine.”
How can I get to Upperthong, West Yorkshire?
Upperthong is accessible by road from major cities like Leeds and Manchester. The nearest train station is in Huddersfield, which is about 7 miles away. From there, you can take a taxi or a local bus to reach the village.
Where Next after Upperthong?
Having visited the charming village of Upperthong in West Yorkshire, there are several other key locations nearby that are worth exploring. You could head to the bustling market town of Holmfirth, known for its picturesque landscapes and as the filming location for the popular TV series “Last of the Summer Wine”. Just a short drive away is the historic town of Huddersfield, home to the impressive Victoria Tower and the beautiful Greenhead Park. For nature lovers, the Peak District National Park is also within easy reach, offering stunning views and numerous walking trails. Alternatively, you could venture further into Yorkshire and visit the city of Leeds, known for its rich industrial heritage and vibrant cultural scene, or the ancient city of York, with its stunning Minster and well-preserved medieval walls.