Since Roman times, the road to Scotland has had to cross the River Greta before climbing up the Stainmore pass and going to Carlisle. The Morritt is built on the ruins of a Roman settlement, which was one of the stopping places for the Roman travellers.
The present Morritt dates back to the late 17th Century, which saw the rise of the mail coach, at which time Greta Bridge became the second overnight stop from London to Carlisle. With the advent of the "horse-less carriage" a motor repair shop, also dispensing petrol was built onto the Morritt ensuring its survival as a travellers' resting-place.
Continuing with its travel connections, 2012 saw the opening of ‘The Garage,’ a quintessentially English spa, which has its own Electric Car Charging unit taking The Morritt from coach to petrol to electricity!
In 1839 Charles Dickens visited Greta Bridge researching Nicholas Nickelby. In the 18th & 19th Centuries famous painters such as Turner and Cotman painted many of the beauty spots in and around the Greta.