You will love it here...
…if you appreciate nature and peacefulness off the beaten track,…
…if you want to toast marshmallows on an open campfire whilst gazing at a sky laden with stars,..
…if you want time to yourself to read your favourite book or watch the Kingfishers and the Otters.
The Hideaway is a small, relaxed and friendly campsite in the heart of North Yorkshire, that offers you chilled out camping and glamping that's in-tune with nature and doesn't cost the Earth. There are just 40 pitches in a 6 acre field,which nestles in the midst of our 110 acre farm, surrounded by trees and bounded on one side by a stream. It is off the beaten track, but only a stroll from the village shop, pub and bus stop.
The Hideaway@Baxby is a special, peaceful and restful place where you can spend precious days away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. A haven for walkers and cyclists, and a perfect base for exploring the many historic, cultural and outdoor attractions of this lovely part of Yorkshire.
We are about camping, campfires, the countryside and getting away from it all.
WE HAVE A STRICT ‘NO NOISE AFTER 11PM’ POLICY SO IF YOU WANT TO STAY UP LATE PARTYING-THIS IS NOT THE SITE FOR YOU!
There is plenty of space and a new heated log amenity building where the showers are as warm as the welcome. In keeping with the campfire theme, hot water is heated using a wood-fired boiler (well…a state-of-the-art wood pellet Biomass boiler actually!) and there is a heat recovery system to add to our ‘eco’ credentials.
• Sheltered, level and spacious grass pitches
• Designated Parking Areas, (See the Campsite map HERE for details), making The Hideaway even more tranquil and safer for everyone.
• Modern luxurious heated toilet and shower block with privacy cubicles, free showers (no coins or tokens required here!), and disabled toilet and shower
• Drying room for wet boots and outdoor clothes
• Baby changing
• Chemical toilet disposal
• Under-cover heated Pot-wash and food preparation room
• Reception and shop selling all the essentials; Husthwaite Village grown and produced cider, Marshmallows, and tent pegs! (To name but a few).
• Fire pits on all pitches – we supply fire wood at £6 a bag, but you can bring your own just PLEASE do not forage for wood on and around the site! Landowner will issue fines!
• Fridge and Freezers available free of charge! (Do bear in mind that these do become rather full during busy periods and any warm (ha!) weather.
• Book swap (Accountants not allowed to use this facility….NO BOOKKEEPERS!)
• Baxby farm eggs and other local foodstuffs available. The village butcher calls at The Hideaway on a Saturday morning, 930/10am
• Large multi-use games and recreation area with exercise park, children’s play equipment and tennis court 5 minute walk from campsite
• For all your cooked breakfast and BBQ needs- Andrew Thornton our village butcher visits The Hideaway every Saturday morning at 10am
• Delicious home baked food and fantastic whole ground coffee all served from Liza Jane- a beautiful vintage caravan.
Come and get a scrumptious breakfast and a freshly made coffee to start your morning or maybe tea and cake will help with the pitching of your tent!
Cookies, marshmallows and gourmet hot chocolate all add to that glamping experience.
For selected dates Liza Jane will also be open at night for a true American BBQ experience, please ask us to find out when the next one will be!
The Environment and Us
Preserving all that we have achieved towards preserving the environment here at Baxby Manor over the years is important to us, which is why when you come to stay at The Hideaway things may be a little different from most ‘standard’ campsites…
Our family has been involved in farming since my great great Grandfather arrived here many moons ago, but unlike many farmers who over the years have ripped out hedges and trees to make way for crops we have planted them! In the last 20 years we have planted over 25 acres of woodland, have carried out extensive conservation work on the hedgerows and are recognised for our large numbers of small bird and wildflower species.
Having something to show to and share with future generations is really important to us.
For these reasons when we built The Hideaway in 2012 we installed a biomass boiler to heat the water for your showers, use rainwater for flushing the toilets, and installed a Heat Recovery system make sure nothing goes to waste!
Caring for the environment should also include the avoidance of light pollution, so the outside lighting at The Hideaway is minimal and uses LED’s.
Our electricity is supplied by Ecotricity who maintain that all electricity comes from renewable energy sources and you will see that we use LED and solar lights only around the campsite.