Please check websites of all organisations or businesses before you visit. With the current Coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak, many businesses are changing their opening hours.
Overlooking the green but tucked away in the courtyard of Holly Tree House, a former Inn and now a Grade II listed building, the adjacent Holly Tree Cottage is a creative and modern conversion of a traditional outbuilding to sleep 2.
Entry is from the shared courtyard to a tiled hallway with cloakroom facilities which provides access to a bedroom with king-size bed and a shower room with washbasin and toilet. A stairway rises from the hallway to a large open plan lounge with kitchen and dining area. The room is lofted to the roof apex displaying the original beams and rafters which enhance the space and provide a warm diffused light. There are views to the green and distant fell-sides from the lounge in particular.
The cottage is quite secluded and has been painstakingly renovated with a mix of modernist and traditional in style. The use of muted tones blended with pale oak and mature pine provides a calm atmosphere and a perfect backcloth for the many paintings by local artists of renown. Holly Tree is a small cottage which belies its dimensions by the space it provides, the perfect place for two within an unpretentious but homely environment.
Price £296 - £507 per week.
In the lower reaches of Wensleydale near the confluence of the rivers Ure and Cover the high fells have disappeared to the north but Witton Fell still stands proud as the last high outpost of the diminishing fells to the south. Here sits East Witton, a pretty village, built around a long green and surrounded by tree lined meadows with the occasional cornfield. The green and its surrounding cottages have changed little since they were substantially rebuilt by the Earl of Aylesbury, squire of Jervaulx following a catastrophic fire in 1796, this included St. John's Church which was completed in 1813. Its timelessness being one of the main reasons it was adopted into the National Park. In times past the only water supply for the village was from stand taps on the green with the southernmost being attached to a large glacial boulder which was hauled from a field near Cover Bridge and still remains.
Today there is a local village pub with an award winning restaurant and a Post Office with a nearby 16th Century pub at Cover Bridge, famous for its real ales and good Yorkshire gammon and eggs. The Dales, The Vales, fells and flatlands, open moors and city streets are all within easy travelling distance.