Attraction

Overview & description

This pretty market town lies right on the edge of the North York Moors National Park. Duncombe Park, the ancestral home of Lord Feversham, sits in attractive parkland at the edge of the town. There is a Norman castle and an ancient market cross as well as old coaching inns and a varied selection of tearooms .

The Market is held in the central ancient Market Square every Friday and is alleged to date back to the 13th century.  A charter was created by Robert de Ros to his Burgesses of Helmsley. There is some doubt as to whether this Charter was incorporated and may have been suppressed by the Earls of Rutland around 1520, however a market has taken place on the current site since 1467.  It was originally held in the churchyard with the market cross being moved from there to its current position.  In 1670 the Duke of Buckingham established a Charter market in Helmsley establishing a weekly market and three fairs.  Between 1784 and 1861 the tolls were collected by the Thorpe family.  In 1966 the market was subject of a conveyance to the Rural District Council of Helmsley by a Vesting deed involving the Earl of Feversham Trustees.

In addition to the Market a craft fair is held most Fridays above the Old Town Hall.

Parking is available at Cleveland Way (long stay) and on the Market Place (short stay) on non-market days. - See more at: http://www.visitryedale.co.uk/market-towns/ryedale-market#sthash.wsrJXuQm.dpuf

Read more

Photos