Come along to the premier gateway to the North York Moors National Park, where you can enjoy the "finest view in England", across the vales of Mowbray and York. It’s a great family day out, with thrilling walks and cycle rides straight from the door.
Sutton Bank has a new walk suitable for trampers/robust wheelchairs, devised with an accessibility expert, Sutton Bank easy access circuit takes in the White Horse before picking up the green Cliff family cycle trail and then coming back along the cliff top with amazing views.
Inside the Centre
Discover the stories behind the landscape at Sutton Bank and watch the birds at the bird-feeding station.
- Fascinating interactive exhibition
- Visitor information, gift shop, local crafts, ale and food
- Park Life Café
Out and about
Head out on the footpaths, watch the gliders or play in the grounds.
- Wheelchair-accessible path to the sensational viewpoint
- Walk to the famous Kilburn White Horse
- Natural play area – adventure and fun for children of all ages
A cycling hub
Bring your own bike or hire one from Sutton Bank Bikes.
- Family cycle route and bridleway bike trails
- Bike skills track
- Bike hire, bike wash and cycle shop
2022 - Battle of Byland 700th anniversary
- Join amateur historian and enthusiast Harry Pearson for a fascinating guest lecture and discover more on this largely untold story (Friday 21 January). Booking essential.
- Battle of Byland: Sutton Bank to Rievaulx Abbey (Sunday 29 May) - a 6 mile guided walk. Booking details to follow.
- Battle of Byland: Sutton Bank to Roulston Scar (Sunday 11 September) - a 5.5. mile circular guided walk. Booking details to follow.
- Battle of Byland 700th anniversary (Saturday 15 October 10am-4pm)
- Demonstrations of arms and armour
- Guided walks
- Bow-making/ children’s activities and trails
- Unveiling new memorial and interpretation
- Pop-up stalls (Royal Armouries, English Heritage, Towton Battlefield Society, Battlefields Trust)
- Period music, food and drink tastings
Free wi-fi is available throughout the centre.
Open daily February half-term – December
Closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and weekdays January to February half-term holidays.