Overview & description
The Schoolroom Museum is housed in a building erected in 1785 as a school house and poor house, on the site of the charity school which James Cook attended. The knowledge that he gained here provided the starting point for him to become one of the greatest navigators, explorers and chartmakers that this country has produced. His voyages of discovery are displayed along with a reconstruction of a 18th Century schoolroom.
The commemorative plaque on the outside of the museum is by Nicolas Dimbleby, as is the statue of James Cook on the High Green. All Saints Church the obelisk on the site of the Cook family cottage and the monument on Easby Moor are all part of the story of Captain James Cook RN in Great Ayton.