An introduction to the history of modern art with Dr Simon Marginson.
The course addresses some of the major figures in twentieth-century British art and beyond. Each session will focus on a specific thematic issue and grouping of artists. Although concentrating on the period c.1910-1970, the course will also look backwards to antiquity and forward to contemporary art practice.
The Six Sessions
Each session offers an introduction to an aspect of modern art and will address specific themes, contexts, and artists.
The sessions will typically consist of two halves: the first giving a broader overview of the topic; the second a more in-depth discussion of a particular issue or artist’s work. Where possible the sessions respond to current exhibitions.
1. In an English Country Garden: Abstraction and the Landscape
2. The Yorkshire Mafia: Hepworth and Moore
3. Surrealism Beyond Borders
4. Modern Classicisms: The Avant-garde and Antiquity
5. The Art of War: Picturing Conflict
6. Space is the Place: Art and Astronomy