An inn known as the Black Swan is believed to have existed on this site in High Harrogate since at least the latter part of the 18th Century. In an early reference, from 1815, it is recorded that "the workhouse committee refreshed itself liberally at the Black Swan, receiving a bill from Landlord Joseph Waite for £5 6s.10d".
High Harrogate, together with Bilton and Low Harrogate were the earliest parts of the town to be developed. Devonshire Place appears to have been developed in the latter part of the 18th Century and became a major coaching run, with coaches stopping at the many inns including the Black Swan.
The Black Swan building is known to have been extensively redeveloped in 1895 by its then brewery owners when a Victorian frontage was erected and it is probable that the building height was increased at this time. There is extensive evidence in the cellars of a much earlier building including vaulted ceilings, suggesting that the original building dates from at least the 18th century.
The Swan on the Stray, located on Devonshire Place in Harrogate, has been sympathetically renovated to retain the grandeur of the building whilst encompassing everything a customer would expect from a Market Town Tavern.