Walk: The Jervaulx Abbey Ramble

in East Witton

This 7 mile circular walk is a lovely low level option for those who want to stay in the valleys and enjoy some historic buildings and bridges surrounded by serene parkland. Located just near East Witton, this is the perfect stopping point for parking, a cup of tea and a staging post for visits to the Brymor Ice Cream Parlour and The Blue Lion pub.

Jervaulx Abbey

The Route

  • what3words for start point: ///decanter.quits.boots
  • Start Point: Jervaulx Abbey
  • Finish Point: Jervaulx Abbey
  • Distance: 7 Miles

GPX Route Map

Download file for GPS

Walk Description

This walk starts and finishes at the ruins of the cistercian abbey of Jervaulx and hugs the banks of the River Ure for much of the route with no significant ascent throughout . The Abbey, the bridge at Kilgram, St Oswald’s Church and Danby Hall are all highlights to say nothing of the characterful Cover Bridge Inn. The wildlife and certainly bird life on this walk can be plentiful.

Jervaulx Abbey was founded in 1156 by the monks who made a success of the location by rearing sheep, making the first Wensleydale Cheese and breeding exquisite horses. In 1536 Henry VIII had the treasures from the abbey removed and the building all but destroyed. The abbot marched in protest and was executed soon after. The ruins are all that survived but the atmosphere of the place remains and is spiritual and tranquil. Kilgram Bridge is a wonderful site to see with elaborate arches stretching over the River Ure. It is very old, probably pre-Elizabethan and the local folklore say the devil built it in a day!

Danby Hall is the home of the Le Scrope family to this day. This is the same family who built Bolton Castle and owned many properties in Upper Wensleydale. St Oswald’s Church, sitting in a wooded area outside Thornton Steward, has evidence of pre-Norman times but was mostly built in 1210. The discovery of human remains in the grounds of the church, thought to be early Christians, led to their second burial with a ceremony and press coverage.

The Ulshaw Bridge at the junction of the Ure and Cover below Spennithorne holds an ancient sundial dating from 1674. This used to be a crucial crossing point on the route between Kendal and York. The little church nearby was built by the Le Scrope family. The Cover Bridge pub has changed little over the years and remains popular with the locals and visitors alike. It is a long held tradition that the landlord safeguards the secret of the original recipe for the Wensleydale cheese. The building dates back to 1674 like the sundial on the neighbouring bridge. The pub was a coaching inn in the 16th century.

Related Accommodation

The accommodation below is nearby - and has been updated recently.

Picture of Orchard Cottage

Orchard Cottage

East Witton, HG4 4PQ, United Kingdom
Orchard Cottage

Orchard Cottage

Orchard Cottage, East Witton, North Yorkshire, HG4 4PQ, United Kingdom
Picture of Braithwaite Hall Apartment

Braithwaite Hall Apartment

EAST WITTON Braithwaite Hall Apartment, East Witton, DL8 4SY, United Kingdom

Leave a Comment