Whitgift, a charming hamlet nestled in the heart of East Yorkshire, England, is a hidden gem waiting to be discovered by discerning tourists. This quaint locale, steeped in history and surrounded by the stunning natural beauty of the Yorkshire countryside, offers a tranquil retreat from the hustle and bustle of city life. With its picturesque landscapes, historic landmarks, and warm, welcoming community, Whitgift promises a unique and memorable experience for those seeking a taste of authentic English rural life.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Whitgift
- Whitgift is a small village located in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England.
- The village is situated on the north bank of the River Ouse.
- Whitgift is part of the civil parish of Twin Rivers which also includes the villages of Adlingfleet, Eastoft, Fockerby, Garthorpe, Luddington, Ousefleet, and Reedness.
- The village is recorded in the Domesday Book as “Witegift”.
- Whitgift’s name is derived from the Old English words “hwit” and “gift”, meaning “white gift”.
- The village is home to a church dedicated to St Mary Magdalene, which dates back to the 13th century.
- Whitgift is a rural area with a population of less than 200 people.
- The village is surrounded by farmland and is known for its peaceful and quiet atmosphere.
- Whitgift is located approximately 20 miles east of the city of Doncaster.
- The village does not have many amenities, but the nearby towns and villages provide necessary services.
Whitgift on the map
Frequently Asked Questions about Whitgift, East Yorkshire
Where is Whitgift, East Yorkshire located?
Whitgift is a small village located in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 4 miles east of Goole.
What are some notable attractions in Whitgift, East Yorkshire?
Whitgift is known for its peaceful rural setting and historic landmarks such as the Whitgift Lighthouse and St Mary Magdalene Church.
What is the population of Whitgift, East Yorkshire?
The population of Whitgift is quite small, with less than 200 residents as per the latest census.
After exploring Whitgift, East Yorkshire, there are several nearby places worth visiting. Head to the bustling city of Kingston upon Hull, known for its vibrant cultural scene, historic old town, and the impressive aquarium, The Deep. Don’t miss the chance to visit Beverley, a charming market town with a stunning 13th-century minster and a lively racecourse. Nature lovers should explore the Spurn National Nature Reserve, a unique and dramatic landscape with a variety of wildlife. For a taste of seaside fun, visit the coastal town of Bridlington, famous for its beautiful beaches and historic harbour. Lastly, the Yorkshire Wolds offer picturesque rolling landscapes, perfect for walking and cycling.
See more cities, towns and villages in East Yorkshire.