Welcome to Woodlesford, a charming village located in West Yorkshire. Known for its rich history and picturesque landscapes, Woodlesford offers a unique blend of rural tranquility and easy access to urban amenities. The village is surrounded by beautiful countryside, making it a haven for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. With its well-preserved Victorian architecture, thriving local businesses, and friendly community, Woodlesford is a delightful destination that offers a taste of traditional Yorkshire life. Whether you’re here for a day trip or a longer stay, you’ll find plenty to see and do in this captivating corner of West Yorkshire.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Woodlesford, West Yorkshire
- Woodlesford is a suburban village in West Yorkshire, England.
- It is located approximately 6 miles southeast of Leeds city centre.
- The village is part of the civil parish of Rothwell.
- Woodlesford has a population of around 2,500 people.
- It is situated near the River Aire and the Aire and Calder Navigation canal.
- The village has a railway station, Woodlesford railway station, which provides services to Leeds, Sheffield, and Doncaster.
- Woodlesford has a number of local amenities including shops, pubs, and a primary school.
- The village is known for its limestone quarrying industry in the 19th and 20th centuries.
- Woodlesford is home to several listed buildings, including the Grade II listed Woodlesford Lock.
- The village has a strong community spirit with several local events and clubs, including a cricket club and a gardening club.
Woodlesford on the map
FAQs About Woodlesford
Where is Woodlesford located?
Woodlesford is located in West Yorkshire, England.
What are some notable attractions in Woodlesford, West Yorkshire?
Some notable attractions in Woodlesford include the Woodlesford Lock on the Aire and Calder Navigation, and the local nature reserve, Rothwell Country Park.
What is the population of Woodlesford, West Yorkshire?
The population of Woodlesford, West Yorkshire is approximately 2,500 people. However, this can vary as it is part of the larger Rothwell ward.
Where Next after Woodlesford?
Having visited the charming village of Woodlesford in West Yorkshire, you might be wondering where to head next. A short distance away is the vibrant city of Leeds, known for its rich industrial heritage and bustling shopping districts. You could also explore the historic town of Wakefield, home to the magnificent Wakefield Cathedral and the Hepworth Wakefield art gallery. If you’re a nature lover, the Yorkshire Dales National Park is a must-visit, offering stunning landscapes and numerous hiking trails. Alternatively, you could head to the coastal town of Scarborough in North Yorkshire for a relaxing beach day. Don’t miss out on visiting the medieval city of York, where you can explore the iconic York Minster and the Shambles, one of the best-preserved medieval shopping streets in Europe.