Today is National Cheese Lovers Day and Yorkshire may well be the county that loves cheese the most. Yorkshire is home to three protected geographical cheeses and a whole host of cheesemongers across the four counties. Here’s a taste of the cheese of Yorkshire.
Table of Contents
Protected & Famous Yorkshire Cheeses
- Wensleydale – Wallace’s favourite cheese is produced exclusively in North Yorkshire. Wensleydale is a supple and crumbly medium cheese and belongs on your cheeseboard without question. You can learn much more about this famous cheese at the Wensleydale Creamery. The creamery offer tours and tasters at their visitor centre in the beautifully picturesque Hawes. You can even take a look at the cheese-making video from the Wendsleydale Creamery below.
- Swaledale – Swaledale Cheese and Swaledale Ewes’ Cheese are both protected. Only a few people know the secret recipe to this hard, full fat cheese. Swaledale has been produced in the Yorkshire Dales since 1156.
- Yorkshire Dama Cheese – Raghid and Razan Alsous are Syrian refugees who produce a halloumi style cheese in Sowerby Bridge. They featured alongside their cheese on a recent episode of The Hairy Bikers.
- Barncliffe Brie – Danny and Carole Lockwood produce this handmade Yorkshire Brie near Huddersfield. It is available at Blacker Hall Farm Shop.
Cheese in Cheesemongers
Yorkshire cheeses go far beyond our protected and other famous cheeses. We also have a number of delicious cheese producers throughout the county. Some of our highlights are…
- Cryer and Scott – an award-winning family run West Yorkshire cheesemonger in Castleford and a cheese supplier and distributor.
- Let it Brie – this cheese shop and bistro in Scarborough can deliver a range of cheeseboard related products right to your door – from jams, chutneys to cheeses themselves Let it Brie is a great option.
- Love Cheese – the only specialist cheese and deli shop in York. They specialise in local cheeses and are all cheese enthusiasts who won’t hesitate to help you put together the perfect cheesboard for you.
Tuck in to more #YorkshireMenu content here and read more posts just like this on our blog.