Moortown golf club, in Leeds, is one of Yorkshire’s best, and best known, golf courses.
Table of Contents
Founded in 1909: A Legacy of Golfing Excellence
Moortown Golf Club, established in 1909, is celebrated for its rich history and championship quality, designed by the world-renowned golf course architect Dr Alister MacKenzie. Known for designing Augusta National, Cypress Point, Royal Melbourne, and many other iconic courses globally, MacKenzie’s work at Moortown has placed it among the Top 100 Golf Courses, setting it in 175 acres of striking woodland and moorland.
A Championship Venue with a Storied Past
Moortown holds a distinguished place in golfing history as the host of the first Ryder Cup match on British soil in 1929. This illustrious club has welcomed a series of professional and amateur tournaments over the past century, with winners including Sir Nick Faldo, Bernard Gallagher, Danny Willett, and Sir Michael Bonallack. Its reputation as one of the country’s finest inland golf courses is richly deserved, celebrating a century of high-level golf.
Exceptional Facilities and Membership Opportunities
Moortown extends a warm invitation to local, national, and international visitors, offering first-class facilities including:
- Championship Golf Course: Designed by Dr Alister MacKenzie, set across 175 acres of lowland heathland.
- Historic Clubhouse: High standards on and off the course, providing a complete golf experience.
- Pro-Shop and Warm-Up Area: Well-stocked for all golfing needs, complemented by an excellent warm-up area.
Membership at Moortown
While Full Male Membership is currently at capacity, Moortown is accepting applications for:
- Lady 6 Day & 7 Day: Encouraging more ladies to join with preferential terms.
- Junior Membership: Limited opportunities for young golfers.
- Country & Overseas Membership: For those residing further afield.
The club actively seeks to encourage diversity and inclusivity in line with the Equality Act 2010, offering ‘positive action’ to encourage membership among under-represented groups.
For those looking to experience Moortown’s historic course, visitor tee bookings are available. The club’s on-site café welcomes both members and the public, offering refreshments and meals.
Course Rankings and Contact Information
- Ranked No. 63 in UK & Ireland by Golf Monthly
- Bookings and Enquiries: Contact Peter Rishworth, Club Secretary, at 0113 268 6521 or via email at email@example.com.
Moortown Golf Club promises a memorable golfing experience, combining the challenge of a championship course with the beauty of Yorkshire’s landscape, making it a must-visit destination for golf enthusiasts around the world.