Welcome to Cottingley, a charming suburb located in the vibrant city of Bradford, West Yorkshire. Known for its rich history and picturesque landscapes, Cottingley offers a unique blend of urban convenience and rural tranquility. The area is famous for the Cottingley Fairies, an intriguing part of British folklore that continues to captivate visitors. With its well-preserved Victorian architecture, excellent local amenities, and easy access to the bustling city centre of Bradford, Cottingley provides an ideal destination for those seeking a distinctive and memorable Yorkshire experience.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Cottingley, Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Cottingley is a suburban area in the city of Bradford, West Yorkshire, England.
- It is located approximately 3 miles southwest of Bradford city centre.
- The area is known for the Cottingley Towers and Cottingley Manor Park, two high-rise blocks of flats.
- Cottingley is also home to the Cottingley Hall Cemetery and Crematorium.
- The area has a railway station, Cottingley railway station, which provides services to Leeds and Bradford.
- Cottingley was historically a part of the township of Bingley.
- The area gained international fame in the early 20th century due to the Cottingley Fairies, which were a series of photographs by two local girls that purported to show real fairies.
- The Cottingley Fairies were later revealed to be a hoax, but not before they had been publicized worldwide and endorsed by prominent figures such as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
- Cottingley has a primary school, Cottingley Village Primary School, which serves the local community.
- The area is largely residential, with a mix of private and social housing.
Cottingley, Bradford, on the map
FAQs About Cottingley, Bradford
Where is Cottingley located?
Cottingley is located in Bradford, West Yorkshire, England.
What is Cottingley, Bradford, West Yorkshire known for?
Cottingley is best known for the Cottingley Fairies, which appeared in a series of photographs taken by two young girls in 1917, which they claimed to show real fairies. The story became one of the most famous hoaxes in the history of photography.
How can I get to Cottingley, Bradford, West Yorkshire?
Cottingley is well connected by public transport. You can take a train to Cottingley station, which is on the Leeds-Bradford line. Alternatively, you can reach Cottingley by bus from Bradford city centre.
Where Next after Cottingley, Bradford?
Having visited the charming village of Cottingley in Bradford, West Yorkshire, your next stop should definitely be the bustling city of Leeds. Just a short drive away, Leeds offers a rich history, stunning architecture, and a vibrant nightlife. Don’t miss the Royal Armouries Museum and Leeds Art Gallery. Alternatively, you could head to the historic town of Harrogate, renowned for its beautiful gardens and the famous Bettys Tea Rooms. If you’re a fan of the Bronte sisters, a trip to Haworth, where they lived and wrote their classic novels, is a must. It’s also worth exploring the stunning Yorkshire Dales National Park, which offers breathtaking landscapes and numerous walking trails. All these locations are within easy reach and offer a taste of the diverse experiences Yorkshire has to offer.