Welcome to Elland, a charming town located in West Yorkshire. Known for its rich history dating back to the medieval period, Elland offers a unique blend of historical architecture and modern amenities. From the ancient Elland Bridge to the bustling local markets, this town provides a diverse range of attractions for visitors. Whether you’re a history buff, a food lover, or an outdoor enthusiast, Elland has something to offer everyone. Experience the warmth of the local community, explore the scenic landscapes, and immerse yourself in the vibrant culture of this West Yorkshire town.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Elland, West Yorkshire
- Elland is a market town in Calderdale, in the county of West Yorkshire, England.
- The town is situated approximately 4 miles south of Halifax and 5 miles north-east of Huddersfield.
- Elland has a rich history dating back to the medieval period, with the first recorded mention of the town in 1086 in the Domesday Book.
- The town’s name is derived from the Old English term for ‘land by the water, river or land partly or wholly surrounded by water’.
- Elland was once a major player in the woolen and cotton spinning industry during the Industrial Revolution.
- The town is home to the Rex Cinema, one of the oldest surviving cinemas in the UK, which has been showing films continuously since 1912.
- Elland is known for its stone architecture, much of which dates back to the Victorian era.
- The town is home to Elland Silver Band, one of the oldest brass bands in the UK, founded in 1850.
- Elland has a number of schools, including Elland C of E Junior and Infant School, Brooksbank School and Old Earth Primary School.
- The town is also home to Elland Cricket Club, which was established in 1892 and plays in the Huddersfield Cricket League.
Elland on the map
FAQs About Elland
Where is Elland located?
Elland is located in West Yorkshire, England. It is situated south of Halifax, by the River Calder.
What is Elland, West Yorkshire known for?
Elland is known for its rich history dating back to the medieval period. It’s also known for its beautiful architecture, including the Elland Bridge which is a Grade II listed structure.
What amenities and facilities are available in Elland, West Yorkshire?
Elland, West Yorkshire offers a variety of amenities and facilities including shops, restaurants, schools, and parks. It also has excellent transport links, making it easy to travel to nearby towns and cities.
Where Next after Elland?
Having visited the charming town of Elland in West Yorkshire, you might be wondering where to head next. A short drive away is the bustling city of Leeds, known for its vibrant nightlife, shopping, and rich industrial history. You could also explore the historic town of Halifax, home to the stunning Piece Hall and Eureka! The National Children’s Museum. If you’re a fan of the Brontë sisters, a trip to Haworth should be on your list, where you can visit the Brontë Parsonage Museum. For nature lovers, the Yorkshire Dales National Park is a must-visit, offering breathtaking landscapes and numerous walking trails. And don’t forget to visit the beautiful coastal town of Whitby, famous for its Abbey and connection to Bram Stoker’s Dracula. All these locations offer a unique taste of what Yorkshire has to offer.