Welcome to Featherstone, a charming town located in West Yorkshire. Known for its rich mining history and vibrant community spirit, Featherstone offers a unique blend of past and present. The town is home to a variety of local shops, traditional pubs, and beautiful parks, making it an ideal destination for those seeking a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. With its close proximity to larger cities like Leeds and Wakefield, Featherstone also serves as a peaceful retreat from the hustle and bustle. Whether you’re a history buff, nature lover, or just looking for a quiet place to unwind, Featherstone has something to offer everyone.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Featherstone, West Yorkshire
- Featherstone is a town and civil parish in the City of Wakefield in West Yorkshire, England.
- It is located approximately 6 miles to the southeast of the city of Wakefield.
- The town was historically a part of the West Riding of Yorkshire.
- Featherstone has a population of around 15,244 according to the 2011 Census.
- The town is well known for its rugby league team, Featherstone Rovers.
- Featherstone was a major coal mining area and was the site of the Featherstone Massacre in 1893.
- The town is served by Featherstone railway station on the Pontefract Line.
- Featherstone has several primary schools and one secondary school, Featherstone Academy.
- The town has a number of historical buildings, including a Victorian Town Hall and All Saints’ Church.
- Featherstone is also home to Purston Park, which features a lake, a bowling green, and tennis courts.
Featherstone on the map
FAQs About Featherstone
Where is Featherstone, West Yorkshire located?
Featherstone is a town and civil parish in the City of Wakefield in West Yorkshire, England. It is located approximately 6 miles to the southeast of the city of Wakefield.
What is Featherstone, West Yorkshire known for?
Featherstone is known for its rich history in coal mining. It is also famous for its rugby league team, Featherstone Rovers. The town is also known for the Featherstone Massacre that took place in 1893 during a strike by coal miners.
What are some notable landmarks or attractions in Featherstone, West Yorkshire?
Some notable landmarks in Featherstone include the Featherstone War Memorial and the Purston Park which houses a beautiful Victorian manor. The town is also home to the Featherstone Rovers Rugby League Club.
Where Next after Featherstone?
Having visited the charming town of Featherstone in West Yorkshire, there are several other key locations nearby that are worth exploring. You could head to the bustling city of Leeds, known for its vibrant nightlife, shopping, and rich industrial history. Alternatively, you could visit the historic town of Wakefield, home to the Hepworth Wakefield art gallery and the beautiful Wakefield Cathedral. If you’re a fan of literature, Haworth, the hometown of the Bronte sisters, is a must-visit. For nature lovers, the stunning landscapes of the Yorkshire Dales and the North York Moors are just a short drive away. And don’t forget to visit the picturesque coastal town of Whitby, famous for its Abbey and connection to Bram Stoker’s Dracula. All these places offer a unique taste of what Yorkshire has to offer.