Welcome to Methley, a charming village located in West Yorkshire. This picturesque locale is steeped in history, with roots dating back to the Domesday Book. Methley is a place where the past and present coexist harmoniously, offering visitors a unique blend of historical landmarks, such as the Methley Hall and St Oswald’s Church, and modern amenities. Surrounded by lush greenery and intersected by the River Aire, Methley provides a tranquil escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. Whether you’re a history buff, nature lover, or just looking for a peaceful retreat, Methley has something to offer everyone.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Methley, West Yorkshire
- Methley is a village located in West Yorkshire, England.
- It is situated within the metropolitan borough of the City of Leeds.
- The village is located near the River Aire and the Aire and Calder Navigation.
- Methley was historically an important area for coal mining.
- The village has three distinct areas: Methley Village, Mickletown and Methley Junction.
- Methley has a rich history, with evidence of Roman and Anglo-Saxon settlements.
- The village is home to the historic St. Oswald’s Church, which dates back to the 14th century.
- Methley was once home to Methley Hall, a grand manor house that was demolished in the 1960s.
- The village has several community facilities including a cricket club, a rugby league club, and a community centre.
- Methley is surrounded by beautiful countryside, with several walking and cycling routes.
Methley on the map
FAQs About Methley
Where is Methley located?
Methley is located between the M62 and River Calder, sandwiched between Castleford and Rothwell, in West Yorkshire, England.
What is Methley, West Yorkshire known for?
Methley is known for its rich history, beautiful landscapes, and its three distinct areas: Methley Village, Mickletown and Methley Junction.
What are some attractions in Methley, West Yorkshire?
Some attractions in Methley include the historic St Oswald’s Church, Methley Hall, and the River Aire and Calder for scenic walks and wildlife spotting.
Where Next after Methley?
Having visited the charming village of Methley in West Yorkshire, you might be wondering where to venture next. A short drive away is the vibrant city of Leeds, known for its rich industrial heritage and bustling shopping districts. You could also explore the historic town of Wakefield, home to the magnificent Wakefield Cathedral and the Hepworth Wakefield art gallery. If you’re a nature lover, the Yorkshire Sculpture Park in West Bretton is a must-visit, offering a unique blend of art and nature. Alternatively, you could head to Pontefract, famous for its medieval castle and liquorice sweets. All these locations are within easy reach and offer a taste of the diverse experiences Yorkshire has to offer.