Welcome to Morley, a town located in West Yorkshire. Known for its rich industrial history, Morley is a place where tradition meets modernity. The town boasts a bustling high street, lined with a mix of well-known brands and independent shops, and a monthly local market that showcases the best of local produce. Its cultural scene is equally impressive, with the Morley Arts Festival being a major highlight. The town’s proximity to Leeds city centre also makes it an ideal base for exploring the wider region. Whether you’re a history buff, a shopping enthusiast, or a food lover, Morley has something to offer everyone.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Morley, West Yorkshire
- Morley is a market town and civil parish within the City of Leeds metropolitan borough, in West Yorkshire, England.
- It is located approximately 5 miles south-west of Leeds city centre.
- Morley is the largest town in the Borough of Leeds after Leeds itself.
- The town is famous for its historic architecture including the Town Hall and the Morley Tunnel.
- Morley was originally a part of the Municipal Borough of Morley, which was dissolved in 1974.
- The town is known for its strong sense of community, with a number of local events held throughout the year.
- Morley has a rich industrial history, with a past steeped in the textile and coal mining industries.
- The town is served by Morley railway station, which provides regular train services to Leeds, Manchester and beyond.
- Morley is home to several primary and secondary schools, including Morley Academy, which is rated as ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted.
- The town’s sporting scene is dominated by rugby, with Morley Rugby Football Club being one of the oldest rugby clubs in the country.
Morley on the map
FAQs About Morley, West Yorkshire
Where is Morley located?
Morley is located in West Yorkshire, England. It’s a market town and civil parish within the City of Leeds metropolitan borough.
What are some notable attractions in Morley, West Yorkshire?
Morley is known for its historic Morley Town Hall, the Morley Market, and the Seven Hills public park. It also has a number of Victorian buildings and is home to the Morley Arts Festival.
What is the population of Morley, West Yorkshire?
As of the last census, the population of Morley was approximately 44,440. However, this number may have changed slightly in recent years.
Where Next after Morley, West Yorkshire?
Having visited the charming town of Morley in West Yorkshire, you might be wondering where to head next. A short drive away is the vibrant city of Leeds, known for its rich industrial heritage and bustling shopping districts. You could also explore the historical city of York, with its stunning Minster and well-preserved medieval walls. For nature lovers, the Yorkshire Dales National Park is a must-visit, offering breathtaking landscapes and numerous hiking trails. Don’t miss out on the picturesque coastal towns of Whitby and Scarborough either, both located in North Yorkshire. Each of these locations offers a unique taste of what Yorkshire has to offer.