Welcome to Nostell, a charming location in West Yorkshire that offers a unique blend of history, nature, and culture. This picturesque area is home to the 18th-century architectural marvel, Nostell Priory, a treasure trove of Chippendale furniture, and expansive parkland. Nostell is a place where you can immerse yourself in the tranquility of nature, explore the grandeur of Georgian architecture, and discover a rich tapestry of history. Whether you’re a history buff, an outdoor enthusiast, or simply looking for a peaceful retreat, Nostell has something to offer everyone.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Nostell, West Yorkshire
- Nostell is a village located in West Yorkshire, England.
- It is part of the civil parish of Huntwick with Foulby and Nostell.
- The village is situated approximately 6 miles southeast of the city of Wakefield.
- Nostell is most famous for Nostell Priory, a Palladian house that is now a property of the National Trust.
- Nostell Priory was built in the 18th century on the site of a medieval priory.
- The house contains a large collection of Chippendale furniture, all made specifically for the house.
- The parkland surrounding Nostell Priory covers 300 acres and includes lakes, woodland, and gardens.
- Nostell has a railway station, Fitzwilliam, which is about a mile away from the village.
- The village is also home to Nostell Miners Welfare Football Club, a non-league football team.
- St Michael and Our Lady’s Church, located in the grounds of Nostell Priory, is the parish church of Nostell.
Nostell on the map
FAQs About Nostell
Where is Nostell located?
Nostell is located in West Yorkshire, England.
What is Nostell known for?
Nostell is best known for Nostell Priory, an 18th-century architectural masterpiece with landscaped park and gardens.
What can visitors do at Nostell?
Visitors at Nostell can explore the Nostell Priory, enjoy the beautiful gardens, take a walk in the parkland, and visit the adventure playground. There are also various events and activities held throughout the year.
Where Next after Nostell?
Having visited the beautiful Nostell in West Yorkshire, you might be wondering where to head next. A short drive away is the vibrant city of Leeds, known for its rich industrial heritage and thriving cultural scene. Here, you can explore the Royal Armouries Museum, Leeds Art Gallery, and the historic Kirkstall Abbey. Alternatively, you could head to the charming town of Wakefield, home to the Hepworth Wakefield Gallery and the stunning Wakefield Cathedral. If you’re a nature lover, the Yorkshire Sculpture Park in West Bretton is a must-visit. And of course, no trip to Yorkshire would be complete without experiencing the breathtaking beauty of the Yorkshire Dales.