Welcome to Ossett, a charming market town located in West Yorkshire. Known for its rich history in the woolen and coal industries, Ossett offers a unique blend of past and present. The town boasts a variety of independent shops, traditional pubs, and a bustling market that adds to its vibrant atmosphere. With its close proximity to the M1 motorway, Ossett provides easy access to the major cities of Leeds and Sheffield, making it an ideal base for exploring the wider region. Whether you’re a history buff, a food lover, or an outdoor enthusiast, Ossett has something to offer everyone.
Table of Contents
Accommodation in Ossett
Fact Pack – Ossett, West Yorkshire
- Ossett is a market town within the metropolitan district of the City of Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England.
- Historically, Ossett was a part of the West Riding of Yorkshire.
- The town is roughly halfway between the west and south ridings of Yorkshire.
- Ossett has a population of over 21,000 people.
- It is known for its role in the English textile industry during the Industrial Revolution.
- Ossett was once a thriving coal mining town, but the last mine closed in 1981.
- The town is home to Ossett Brewery, which was established in 1997 and has since become a significant player in the real ale market.
- Ossett has a rich history, with many buildings dating back to the 19th century.
- The town has a number of schools, including Ossett Academy and Sixth Form College.
- Ossett is also known for its annual events, such as the Ossett Gala and the Ossett Beer Festival.
Ossett on the map
FAQs About Ossett
Where is Ossett located?
Ossett is located in West Yorkshire, England.
What is Ossett known for?
Ossett is known for its rich history in the woolen and textile industry. It’s also known for its local breweries and annual events like the Ossett Gala and the Ossett Beer Festival.
What are some attractions in Ossett, West Yorkshire?
Some attractions in Ossett include the Ossett Town Hall, the Ossett Brewery, and the nearby Yorkshire Sculpture Park.
Where Next after Ossett?
After visiting the charming town of Ossett in West Yorkshire, there are several nearby locations that are worth exploring. You could head to the vibrant city of Leeds, known for its rich industrial heritage and bustling shopping districts. Alternatively, you could visit the historic town of Wakefield, home to the Hepworth Wakefield art gallery and the beautiful Wakefield Cathedral. If you’re a nature lover, the stunning landscapes of the Yorkshire Dales National Park are a must-see. For those interested in history, the medieval city of York, with its iconic York Minster and well-preserved city walls, is just a short drive away. All these destinations offer a unique taste of what Yorkshire has to offer.