Welcome to Overton, a charming village located in West Yorkshire, England. This quaint locale is steeped in history and offers a unique blend of rural tranquility and cultural richness. Overton is known for its picturesque landscapes, featuring rolling hills and lush green fields, making it a perfect destination for nature lovers. The village is also home to the National Coal Mining Museum, offering a fascinating insight into the region’s industrial past. Whether you’re seeking peaceful walks, historical exploration, or simply a relaxing break from the hustle and bustle, Overton, West Yorkshire is a destination worth discovering.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Overton, West Yorkshire
- Overton is a small village located in West Yorkshire, England.
- The village is part of the civil parish of Overton and Stanley.
- It is situated near the River Calder, providing scenic views and opportunities for outdoor activities.
- Overton is approximately 3 miles away from the town of Wakefield.
- The village is known for its historical significance, with several listed buildings.
- One of the notable buildings in Overton is the National Coal Mining Museum for England.
- The museum is located in the former Caphouse Colliery, which was a working mine from the 18th century to 1985.
- Overton has a small population, providing a quiet and peaceful environment.
- The village is surrounded by farmland, contributing to its rural charm.
- Overton is well-connected to other parts of West Yorkshire through a network of roads and public transportation.
Overton on the map
FAQs About Overton, West Yorkshire
Where is Overton, West Yorkshire located?
Overton is a small village located in the Wakefield district of West Yorkshire, England.
What is Overton, West Yorkshire known for?
Overton is known for its peaceful rural setting and its close proximity to the city of Wakefield. It’s also near to the National Coal Mining Museum for England.
What are the transportation options in Overton, West Yorkshire?
Overton is accessible by road, with the nearest major road being the M1 motorway. The nearest railway station is located in Wakefield. Local bus services also connect Overton with surrounding areas.
Where Next after Overton, West Yorkshire?
Having visited the charming village of Overton in West Yorkshire, there are several other key locations nearby that are worth exploring. Just a short drive away is the bustling city of Leeds, known for its vibrant nightlife, shopping, and rich industrial history. You can also visit the historic town of Wakefield, home to the Hepworth Wakefield gallery and the stunning Wakefield Cathedral. For nature lovers, the Yorkshire Dales National Park is a must-visit, offering breathtaking landscapes, hiking trails, and quaint villages. Don’t miss out on the chance to visit the picturesque town of Harrogate, famous for its Turkish baths and beautiful gardens. Lastly, the medieval city of York, with its iconic Minster, ancient city walls, and the Jorvik Viking Centre, is a must-see in Yorkshire.