Welcome to Swillington, a charming village located in West Yorkshire. This quaint locale is steeped in history, with roots dating back to the Domesday Book. Swillington is surrounded by lush greenery, offering a tranquil escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. It’s a place where you can enjoy the simplicity of rural living, with easy access to modern amenities. From the historic St. Mary’s Church to the picturesque Swillington Park, there’s plenty to explore and appreciate in this unique village. Whether you’re a history buff, nature lover, or just seeking a peaceful retreat, Swillington is a destination worth discovering.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Swillington, West Yorkshire
- Swillington is a village and civil parish located in West Yorkshire, England.
- It is situated approximately 5 miles east of Leeds city centre.
- The village is part of the City of Leeds metropolitan borough.
- Swillington has a population of around 3,500 people.
- The village is known for its historic St Mary’s Church, which dates back to the 12th century.
- Swillington is surrounded by several nature reserves, including St Aidan’s Nature Reserve.
- The village has a rich mining history, with the last coal mine closing in 1980.
- Swillington is home to several community facilities, including a primary school, a post office, and a village hall.
- The village has a local cricket team, Swillington Saints Cricket Club, which plays in the Wetherby Cricket League.
- Swillington is also known for its annual agricultural show, which showcases local livestock and produce.
Swillington on the map
FAQs About Swillington
Where is Swillington located?
Swillington is located in West Yorkshire, England. It’s a small village situated to the east of Leeds.
What are some notable attractions in Swillington, West Yorkshire?
Swillington is known for its beautiful countryside and the historic St Mary’s Church. It’s also close to the RSPB St Aidan’s nature park, which is a popular spot for bird watching and walking.
What is the population of Swillington, West Yorkshire?
The population of Swillington is approximately 3,500 people. However, this can vary as the area includes several smaller communities.
Where Next after Swillington?
Having visited the charming village of Swillington in West Yorkshire, you might be wondering where to head next. A short drive away is the bustling city of Leeds, known for its vibrant nightlife, shopping, and rich industrial history. You can explore the Royal Armouries Museum, Leeds Art Gallery, or take a stroll along the Leeds-Liverpool Canal. Alternatively, you could head to the historic town of Wakefield, home to the Hepworth Wakefield Art Gallery and the beautiful Yorkshire Sculpture Park. If you’re a fan of the Brontë sisters, a trip to the quaint village of Haworth in Bradford should be on your list. Here, you can visit the Brontë Parsonage Museum and take a walk on the wild moors that inspired their novels. Lastly, don’t miss out on visiting the stunning natural beauty of the Yorkshire Dales National Park, a haven for walkers and nature lovers.