Nestled in the heart of East Yorkshire, England, Walkington is a charming village that offers a unique blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. This picturesque destination is perfect for tourists seeking a tranquil escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. With its quaint cottages, historic landmarks, and scenic walking trails, Walkington provides an authentic taste of English countryside living. Whether you’re a history enthusiast, nature lover, or simply looking for a peaceful retreat, Walkington promises a memorable visit.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Walkington
- Walkington is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England.
- It is situated approximately two miles south-west of the market town of Beverley.
- The village was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086.
- Walkington has a population of around 2,000 people.
- The village has three ponds, the largest of which, the Village Pond, is located at the south end of the village.
- Walkington has a primary school, Walkington Primary School, which was rated as ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted in 2013.
- The village has a local shop, a post office, and three public houses: The Barrel, The Dog and Duck, and The Ferguson Fawsitt Arms & Country Lodge.
- Walkington is surrounded by open countryside, with several public footpaths and bridleways leading from the village into the surrounding areas.
- The village church, All Hallows, dates back to the 12th century and is a Grade II listed building.
- Every year, Walkington hosts a 10k race and fun run, which attracts runners from all over the region.
Walkington on the map
Frequently Asked Questions about Walkington, East Yorkshire
Where is Walkington, East Yorkshire located?
Walkington is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately two miles to the south-west of the market town of Beverley.
What are some notable attractions in Walkington, East Yorkshire?
Walkington is known for its picturesque village pond, All Hallows’ Church, and its close proximity to the historic market town of Beverley. It also has several walking trails and is surrounded by beautiful countryside.
What facilities are available in Walkington, East Yorkshire?
Walkington has a village shop, post office, primary school, and three pubs. It also has a village hall which hosts a variety of community events.
After exploring the charming village of Walkington in East Yorkshire, there are several nearby places worth visiting. The historic market town of Beverley is just a short drive away, known for its stunning 13th-century Minster, bustling markets, and quaint tea rooms. Nature lovers should head to the Yorkshire Wolds, a series of rolling hills and valleys that offer beautiful walking trails. The city of Hull, named the UK City of Culture in 2017, is also nearby and offers a range of attractions including the Deep, one of the UK’s most spectacular aquariums, and several fascinating museums. For those interested in history, the stately home of Burton Agnes Hall, with its Elizabethan architecture and beautiful gardens, is a must-visit.
See more cities, towns and villages in East Yorkshire.