Welcome to Watton, a charming and tranquil village nestled in the heart of East Yorkshire, England. This quaint destination is steeped in history and surrounded by the stunning landscapes of the Yorkshire Wolds. Watton offers a unique blend of picturesque countryside, historical landmarks, and traditional English charm. Whether you’re a history enthusiast, nature lover, or simply seeking a peaceful retreat, Watton promises a memorable and enriching experience for all tourists.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Watton
- Watton is a small village located in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England.
- The village is situated approximately 6 miles south-east from the market town of Driffield.
- Watton is part of the civil parish of Watton and Kilnwick.
- The village is known for its historic Watton Abbey, a former Gilbertine double monastery.
- The abbey was founded in the 12th century and is now a private residence.
- Watton is also home to St. Mary’s Church, a Grade II listed building.
- The village has a population of less than 500 people, making it a quiet and peaceful place.
- Watton is surrounded by beautiful countryside, offering plenty of opportunities for walking and cycling.
- The village has a strong sense of community with several local events held throughout the year.
- Despite its small size, Watton has a number of amenities including a post office, a pub, and a primary school.
Watton on the map
Frequently Asked Questions about Watton, East Yorkshire
What is Watton, East Yorkshire known for?
Watton, East Yorkshire is known for its rich history, beautiful landscapes, and the Watton Abbey, a historic site that dates back to the 12th century.
What are the transportation options in Watton, East Yorkshire?
Watton, East Yorkshire is accessible by car, bus, and train. The nearest train station is in Driffield, which is about 5 miles away.
Are there any local events or festivals in Watton, East Yorkshire?
Watton, East Yorkshire hosts several local events and festivals throughout the year, including the Watton Country Fair and the Watton Music Festival.
After exploring the charming town of Watton, East Yorkshire, there are several nearby places worth visiting. The historic market town of Beverley is just a short drive away, known for its stunning Minster and vibrant market. Nature lovers should head to the Humber Bridge Country Park, offering beautiful woodland walks and stunning views from the iconic Humber Bridge. The city of Hull is also within easy reach, boasting a rich maritime history, a thriving arts scene, and the award-winning aquarium, The Deep. For those interested in aviation, the Yorkshire Air Museum in Elvington provides a fascinating insight into the history of flight. Lastly, the coastal town of Bridlington offers sandy beaches and a picturesque harbour, perfect for a relaxing day out.
See more cities, towns and villages in East Yorkshire.