Welcome to Crofton, a charming village located in West Yorkshire, England. This quaint locale is steeped in history, dating back to the Domesday Book of 1086. Crofton is a place where the past and present coexist harmoniously, offering visitors a unique blend of historical landmarks, such as the 15th-century All Saints’ Church, and modern amenities. The village is surrounded by picturesque countryside, providing ample opportunities for leisurely walks and outdoor activities. With its friendly community, traditional pubs, and close proximity to larger towns like Wakefield, Crofton offers a delightful taste of West Yorkshire’s rural life.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Crofton, West Yorkshire
- Crofton is a village in the city of Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England.
- It is located approximately 4 miles southeast of Wakefield and 6 miles east of Dewsbury.
- The village is historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire.
- Crofton has a population of around 5,800 people according to the 2011 Census.
- The village is known for its two schools, Crofton Academy and Crofton Junior School.
- Crofton is home to the Crofton Beam Engines, which are two historic steam-powered beam engines.
- The village has a railway station, Crofton West Station, which is on the Pontefract Line.
- Crofton has a rich history dating back to the Roman times, with several archaeological finds in the area.
- The village has several amenities including shops, pubs, and a community centre.
- Crofton is surrounded by beautiful countryside, making it a popular place for walking and cycling.
Crofton on the map
FAQs About Crofton, West Yorkshire
Where is Crofton located in West Yorkshire?
Crofton is a village in the city of Wakefield in West Yorkshire, England. It’s located approximately 4 miles southeast of the city center.
What are some notable landmarks or attractions in Crofton, West Yorkshire?
Some notable landmarks in Crofton include the Crofton Beam Engines, which are the oldest working steam engines in the world, and the Anglers Country Park, a popular spot for walking and bird watching.
What is the population of Crofton, West Yorkshire?
As of the last census, the population of Crofton was approximately 5,800 people. However, this number may have changed slightly in recent years.
Where Next after Crofton, West Yorkshire?
Having visited the charming village of Crofton in West Yorkshire, you might be wondering where to head next. A short drive away is the vibrant city of Wakefield, known for its magnificent cathedral and the Hepworth Wakefield art gallery. You could also explore the nearby Nostell Priory, a stunning 18th-century mansion surrounded by beautiful parkland. If you’re a fan of literature, the Bronte Parsonage Museum in Haworth is a must-visit, where the famous Bronte sisters penned their classic novels. For nature lovers, the Yorkshire Dales National Park offers breathtaking landscapes and numerous walking trails. And don’t miss out on visiting the historic city of York, with its iconic York Minster, Clifford’s Tower, and the Shambles. All these locations offer a rich taste of what Yorkshire has to offer.